FLYWHEEL COVER-SEALANT?

nicbrrghs

Get a tube of silicone sealer and squeeze an inch out that is 5mm in diameter. Make a couple while your at it. I hang my gun up till it goes off then snip it off.

Drill a 5mm hole in the case.

Refit case to bike but tie 25lb fishing line around one bolt head - cut to length to reach drilled hole.

Araldite the free end to the silicone plug.

You now have a plug you can use when washing or riding in water but you can remove and it stays with the bike at all times.

I have just thought - Ouch!

You could drill a hole at the top and run a vent pipe (3-5mm carb pipe)sealed into cover) up the frame rail to the bars. This way when the engine is hot any moisture (could only be condensation) can escape but water not get back in.

Anyone tried this?

Edited by pindie

• 2 years later...

I have just thought - Ouch!

You could drill a hole at the top and run a vent pipe (3-5mm carb pipe)sealed into cover) up the frame rail to the bars. This way when the engine is hot any moisture (could only be condensation) can escape but water not get back in.

Anyone tried this?

Resurrecting an old topic here...

I was wondering about sealing the flywheel (mag) cover on my new '14 300 Evo 2t and found this thread. After a wet ride and/or carefully washing the bike with a garden hose a fair bit of water collects inside the cover. I'm not keen on water ingress especially since it is usually pretty wet where I live so I'll be sealing the cover with a bead of silicone. I used to vent the mag cover and seal it up on my Bultacos - pulling off once in awhile to check and re-seal - and it worked great! BTW, the flywheel case is already vented from the factory on the Beta so no worries there.

Cheers, Dorian