My Hodaka Trials Bikes

jaylael

• 4 weeks later...

Jay,

have had a peep at the bikes they are real lookers I would think good to ride as well being nice and light

we do not have hodoka bikes here in the uk

I have only seen one nicely restored example at a classic show

it is the variety of bikes of all ages that makes trials so interesting

good luck & good riding

Thanks for the nice comments! Really! It is surprisingly rare to get much enthusiastic response. I think some people are hesitant to encourage my motorcycle building obsession. It has become my favorite hobby lately and I have spent a good deal of quality time in my little shop lately. It has been raining for the best part of two months here so I just don't feel like riding. I guess that's what happens when you start giving in to old age. :unsure: If ya' ever get to America, you can try out my Hodie. Later, Jay

Extremely cool! Very clean, tasty work.

I just barely remember the days of the "specials" before you could buy off-the-shelf competition bikes.

My first MXer was a stripped-down Suzuki TC-90.

Bullfrog is a good name for a Hodaka where it rains so much.

How about Muck Duck?

Mud Spud?

Thanks Jay I have been to the USA but never Oregon if however I make it to your area it would be great to have a ride on the Hodoka

makes me feel somewhat better to know it is not only here where it rains & rains, still at least summer is coming along soon

good luck

Thanks so much guys! For those of you who read the story, here is a photo of my my 80 year old uncle who set me on the path of trials riding. He ain't much to look at anymore but he was quite a guy in his youth. He once rode a Yamaguchi 55cc similar to this one all the way from the Bay Area in California to Cheyenne Wyoming in 24 hours. That has to be a record! Some time in the 1950's he also built a special "Whizzer" motorbike to a world record 71.something miles an hour on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. He is mostly deaf so he has to use the headset to speak with people. He recently finished this very nice restoration of a Yamaguchi 55, "Whitey Hartman replica". Jay

post-13-1114777574.jpg