Montesa 200 kickstart assembly

benwall

I have a Montesa 200 1982 model and have had trouble with the kickstart assembly gears. Having made numerous enquiries from a variety of places from Sandifords to breakers, I have reached the conclusion I am going to have to have the gears made.

Apparently it was a design fault on my model ( red frame, white tank) and a common problem.

Good luck. The odd time such assemblys appeared on E Bay they were either the later Honda Montesa model or I missed out in the bidding!

RE. DESIGN FAULT . - THE PROBLEM WITH THE GEARS IS THAT WHEN THE CLUTCH CASE IS REMOVED THE SHAFT PULLS OUT WITH IT ALONG WITH THE TWO RATCHET GEARS + 2 WASHER /SHIMS .THESE ARE THEN OFTEN ASSEMBLED

INCORRECTLEY LEADING TO THE KICKSTART GEARS BEING MISSALIGNED AND NOT MAKING FULL CONTACT WITH EACHOTHER , LEADING TO GEAR TEETH BENDING + EVENTUALLY SNAPPING BITS OFF . EVERY BIKE I HAVE WORKED ON

WITH CORRECTLY SPACED GEARS HAVE HAD NO PROBS . AND ALL DAMAGED GEARS WERE BECAUSE OF INCORRECT SPACING

ON REASSEMBLY .

Thanks, do you have a diagram or know the order of how the washers and spacers go, as im thinking about buying one which has the problem of the circlip on the shaft falling off aparently due to a wrong sized washer some were on the shaft, when the circlip falls off the primary gear disengadges stoping the kick start to work.

• 1 year later...

RE. DESIGN FAULT . - THE PROBLEM WITH THE GEARS IS THAT WHEN THE CLUTCH CASE IS REMOVED THE SHAFT PULLS OUT WITH IT ALONG WITH THE TWO RATCHET GEARS + 2 WASHER /SHIMS .THESE ARE THEN OFTEN ASSEMBLED

INCORRECTLEY LEADING TO THE KICKSTART GEARS BEING MISSALIGNED AND NOT MAKING FULL CONTACT WITH EACHOTHER , LEADING TO GEAR TEETH BENDING + EVENTUALLY SNAPPING BITS OFF . EVERY BIKE I HAVE WORKED ON

WITH CORRECTLY SPACED GEARS HAVE HAD NO PROBS . AND ALL DAMAGED GEARS WERE BECAUSE OF INCORRECT SPACING

ON REASSEMBLY .

Thank you, one of the most useful bits of advice about the Cota 200 kickstart issues.

Thanks, do you have a diagram or know the order of how the washers and spacers go, as im thinking about buying one which has the problem of the circlip on the shaft falling off aparently due to a wrong sized washer some were on the shaft, when the circlip falls off the primary gear disengadges stoping the kick start to work.

I know it's an old post, but just thought I'd add this photo of the assembly after removal (ignore the broken kickstart spring) Woodbutcher is right, the whole assembly pulls out with the case cover.

2013-10-12142139_zpsabe29761.jpg

that assembly looks incorrect it should be starting from inside working out ,, 1 inner small bush 2 1x washer (poss shim) 3 cog 4 ratchet mechanism 5 light spring 6 large washer 7 shaft 8 heavy return spring 9 large washer 10 outer large bush in outer case 11 seal 12 kick start ,,,, the assembly can be kept in the engine when removing cover just by keeping it pushed in when lifting the cover ,,,, if the clip is popping off the idler gear check the groove in the shaft for wear and also remember circlips have a incorrect and correct way round and best to use a new one if its popped off

I have a Montesa 200 1982 model and have had trouble with the kickstart assembly gears. Having made numerous enquiries from a variety of places from Sandifords to breakers, I have reached the conclusion I am going to have to have the gears made.

Apparently it was a design fault on my model ( red frame, white tank) and a common problem.

Good luck. The odd time such assemblys appeared on E Bay they were either the later Honda Montesa model or I missed out in the bidding!

let us know how getting one made gets on might be worth having a few made to sell on ,i think someone else use to make these in the past

that assembly looks incorrect it should be starting from inside working out ,, 1 inner small bush 2 1x washer (poss shim) 3 cog 4 ratchet mechanism 5 light spring 6 large washer 7 shaft 8 heavy return spring 9 large washer 10 outer large bush in outer case 11 seal 12 kick start ,,,, the assembly can be kept in the engine when removing cover just by keeping it pushed in when lifting the cover ,,,, if the clip is popping off the idler gear check the groove in the shaft for wear and also remember circlips have a incorrect and correct way round and best to use a new one if its popped off

You might be right, I've just had a look at the parts diagram, and think I may be missing one of the large washers. I'll need to check next time I'm at the bike. Are the washers available - (part no is 0265.118). or any one know what size they are so i can replace?

the large washers are the same as each other looks like you have 1 on the shaft

if you find for some reason you need to use both inner washers make sure theres enough clearence with a large washer fitted when fitting casing

Edited by zerorev3rev4