315 front brake performance

canada280i

2 weeks ago here in Canada it wsas still +10 degrees, today is is -2 degrees and the front brake on my Mont has become crap!

So, the question is, is this crappy performance just a side effect of the sudden temp drop? Fluid level is spot on, it does get marginally better after a little use but still bites very close to the handlebar even though 2 weeks ago it was nice and sharp. The caliper is a single pot version, I have heard multiple times that I should upgrade to the 2 pot version but as you can imaging finding a reasonably priced 2 pot caliper for a 1997 mont here in Canada is rare as the proverbial rocking-horse sh*t!

I do keep an eye on the English E-bay just in case one comes up but no luck so far (am an ex-pat so have family in the UK to assist with payment/postage etc.)

If anyone in Canada has one I of course would be interested in hearing from you!

Or, ifanyone has any suggestions as to how to improve the performance I would also be all ears!

(fluids are all topped up, shes are 4 months new, disk is good and clean/free of grease, caliper has no leaks)

Thanks for any advice.

I deglaze mine (Pads and disc) very regularly, that helps a lot. Also, getting the brake as hot as possible and then quenching with cold water seems to bring them to life too. I read about it, was a little sceptical but tried it and sure enough it works.

funnily enough i did this to both of mine today!! it works too!

Thanks for the replies guys, but I don't think it is the pads, it seems more like the fluid is low (even though it is full and is not leaking), the lever at the bars pulls in much closer to the grip whereas 2 weeks ago when it was warmer I could one finger it and it would stop on a dime, that is why I was wondering if it was a byproduct of the temperature drop.

I will run it around tomorrow to see if more work will get it back to its former glory.

Pretty soon it will be too cold and too much snow to ride so I will have a long 4 months to figure it out.

Thanks for the replies guys, but I don't think it is the pads, it seems more like the fluid is low (even though it is full and is not leaking), the lever at the bars pulls in much closer to the grip whereas 2 weeks ago when it was warmer I could one finger it and it would stop on a dime, that is why I was wondering if it was a byproduct of the temperature drop.

I will run it around tomorrow to see if more work will get it back to its former glory.

Pretty soon it will be too cold and too much snow to ride so I will have a long 4 months to figure it out.

I suppose the temp could have something to do with it providing you still have a firm but lesser lever. This being a bit unusual.

Might ck to insure the lever pin that pushes the master cyl. is not set too tight and there is slight clearance to allow full return of the M/C piston which opens the small port and allows more fluid in if it contracts, or out if is expands(which is the normal case with heat)

Bottom line, the piston must return fully in the m/c for the port to open, and grunge under the little rubber could cause something like that in theory? :rolleyes:

Thank Copemech. I will check everything later today. I would be surprised if the temp had anything to do with performance as it does not affect mmy car brakes in any way. I feel a strip-down/overhaul session coming on while my wife anddaughter decorate the xmas tree!

Aaaah, the joys of xmas......

This happened to me last year while doing alot of enduro riding!

I found it was the brake pads which were of a compound that needed to get up to a high temperature before they would start to bite correctly in the cold.

I changed them for a good intermediate compound and sure enough i no longer had to pull on the lever so hard for them to bite.

It could be a number of faults though,personally i would bleed the system and check the seals first as fluid is cheaper! :kerstsmiley:

I'll tip you back to my first reply. If your pads are glazed, you'll experience a lever you can pull way back with seemingly little braking effect downstairs.

For the few minutes it takes, indulge me ;)

Nice piece of sandpaper laid flat out on the bench, slap the pad down on it and a few sweeps back and forth. You'll see a significant change in colour on the pad. Quick douse with brake cleaner and re assemble with copper grease.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

I find myself doing mine fairly regularly, especially if I've been doing faster more trailie stuff.

Thanks to all for the replies, I whipped out the pads and gave then a rub down even though they did not appear to be glazed, took it out for a blast and pumped the lever etc and it appears to have gotten its performace back....mystery apparently solved!

Cool.

Wouldn't hurt to change the fluid just for the hell of it. Be sure to leave some sort of small air gap in the reservoir once you're done. I made the mistake of brimming mine and sure enough everything expanded with a bit of heat and the brake all but locked on...