Gearbox

mattyboy

Hi all,

Just got myself a new Beta Evo 2012 250cc only had it Three weeks and two trials only and back at Lampkins to have a look at the gearbox.

Does anybody else have problems with clutch drag when either cold or hot and also have problems changing gears very hard to select 1,2,3,4,5,6 I thought they had this sorted

Thanks look forward to replys

Matt

got a 200 and (touch wood) it's the sweetest g.box & clutch I have ever known on a trials (and I've had my share!) bike done about 4 hours now and no sign of plates sticking together (dragging),I was dreaming up all kinds of fixes besides tweaking every friction plate as per "the fix".. will have to change oil soon.. and would like to know other folks preferences re oils . Warranty problems are a ruddy pain but at least Lampkins hold thier hand up and get and do something ..patience I guess

got a 200 and (touch wood) it's the sweetest g.box & clutch I have ever known on a trials (and I've had my share!) bike done about 4 hours now and no sign of plates sticking together (dragging),I was dreaming up all kinds of fixes besides tweaking every friction plate as per "the fix".. will have to change oil soon.. and would like to know other folks preferences re oils . Warranty problems are a ruddy pain but at least Lampkins hold thier hand up and get and do something ..patience I guess

My last Beta, 2010 290cc had exactly the same problem, It had a really bad gearbox. As you say, Mine suffered from the same problems such as.. It was really difficult to select through the gears, Especially when stood still, Lampkins had it in for a bit, Couldn't do anything with it, In the end it had to Be sent back to Beta Italy. The gearbox got worse though when it was hot rather than cold though. I thought myself that it was caused by the tolerences not be tight enough inside the gearbox.

I recently bought a used 2011 250 2t Evo. I was having problems shifting. I've got it working better. First, I got the red Beta accessories clutch slave cylinder. I also adjusted the clutch with less free play then my previous bike. These 2 things have helped the problem to the point where it's not a big deal. Hope this helps!

A new or newish gbox can often just need time and a bit of wear. Each one is put together with tiny naturally occuring differences.

The tightness should fade with time and use as bearings and moving parts settle down. I'd rather have a tight new box that will loosen up to be sweet rather then a sloppy new box that goes horribly loose and messy with use. As it is all your gears it may be down to an adjusment inside the box?

As the bike is so new it will hopefully be a case of newness? If not you have done the right thing and got it back to the supplier. If Lampkins can't sort it through adjustment or obvious fault, it may be a duff one and be sent back to Beta for "analysis".

Ducati used to suffer this kind of thing with bikes - some good & some bad. Their production line is now all computerised and each component is logged to a specific fitter and therefore any problem can be traced back to see who fitted it and was it done right. This helps if you have someone on a production line who is a bit naff at their job (Friday afternoon special). Interestingly, since moving to this kind of system Ducatis issues have dropped significantly. Either iffy fitters have bucked their ideas up or they have been fired?

I doubt Beta will ever have the resources for this type of elaborate system but it may be down to a supplier (to Beta) issue or a production line one.

The really good thing here is you bought brand new so unfortunately you get the privelege of sorting teething issues out. However, once sorted you will love it. Then it will eventually find its way onto the second hand market and be a very sorted bike. This then improves Betas reputation and may draw another new bike sale? More sales = more turnover, possibly profit. This may mean better production line methods and better bikes for all. Well done for taking part in this process. :icon_salut:

Good luck.