Starting Problems! (HELP)

leckers78

I bought a 93 GG and its a complete biatch to start.........

I have cleaned out the carb which is now spotless.......

I have replaced the fuel in the tank........

New plug and cap (Good Spark) and adjusted the plug gap correctly......

it doesnt matter how many times i try and kick it of the dam off it will just not fire up UNLESS......

i drain the carb after using it by turning fuel off and letting it run out....

then the next time i come to start it, it will go after about 5/6 kicks.....

Is this normal or should it go now matter weather i leave fuel in carb or not......??

Any ideas of how to get round this so it just starts like any other bike????

I bought a 93 GG and its a complete biatch to start.........

I have cleaned out the carb which is now spotless.......

I have replaced the fuel in the tank........

New plug and cap (Good Spark) and adjusted the plug gap correctly......

it doesnt matter how many times i try and kick it of the dam off it will just not fire up UNLESS......

i drain the carb after using it by turning fuel off and letting it run out....

then the next time i come to start it, it will go after about 5/6 kicks.....

Is this normal or should it go now matter weather i leave fuel in carb or not......??

Any ideas of how to get round this so it just starts like any other bike????

Does not matter how clean the carb is. What matters is if the pilot circuit is clear and the choke circuit is clear. (As in letting fluid pass) Also it sounds like you have a bad needle & seat(the float valve) and / or the petcock is bad. Should usually start 2nd or third kick.

Does not matter how clean the carb is. What matters is if the pilot circuit is clear and the choke circuit is clear. (As in letting fluid pass) Also it sounds like you have a bad needle & seat(the float valve) and / or the petcock is bad. Should usually start 2nd or third kick.

Hi cheers for the reply the petcock valve is ok i have removed the fuel pipe of it and when i turn it on there is plenty of fuel coming out

how would i be able to tell if the float valve is good or not?

Hi cheers for the reply the petcock valve is ok i have removed the fuel pipe of it and when i turn it on there is plenty of fuel coming out

how would i be able to tell if the float valve is good or not?

Your problem wouldn't be when the valve is on, but when it's off.

Floats/needle/seat will only be a problem if your petcock is leaking a little when it's turned off.

I would be that if you disconnect the fuel hose at the petcock you'll see a little leak and your bike will start right up the next time you try...provided you reconnect the fuel hose ;)

Couple things come to mind here, firstly, how long are you letting the bike sit? More than a couple weeks?

The fuel laying in the bowl will go "off" as all the high aeromatice have evaporated through the vents on the carb. You need to sut the fuel off and run the bike till fuel depleded before storing. This becomes more critical to proper atomization in cold weather. Be sure the tap does work.

Over a month or more, fuel in tank may be crap! Might suggest you drain the tank into a clean 2L pop bottle to ck for condensation(water) before use as well, as it will foul a clean carb after sitting! Alcohol in modern fuels does this sort of thing.

Depending upon the carb, Dellorto choke jets can be a bit marginal in really cold weather. Many have had good luck enlargening them from the #60 jets.

M2C :thumbup: