Getting back into trails after three years away ! And bought a Montesa :)

magicmat

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the kind words.

Aren't mortgages fun ! ... not,

I've spent a fair chunk of time away and really missed the sport. Hopefully this bike wont be a 'toad', but to be on the safe side im getting a family member to come with me, that way i can have a second opinion if its rubbish!

Need to find some local land to practice on tho i think :)

Don't take the sellers word for it if he says the cooling fan is OK! I did and it turned out that it was dying and has had to be replaced. Let the bike run for about 5 minutes and check that the fan starts - it can take a while.

good luck mate listen out for a gritty rumbley noise that is the mains which is expensive to do you should be able to knock him down a bit even if it is perfect due to dating it wrong (if he has) it looks older to me also check the inside of the rear pipe gets worn away by crap on the tyre

all the best mate

inside of the rear pipe?

do you mean the rear brake line??

No the silencer. Mine had a hole in the side and I bought some 2mm ally sheet , cut a section out and riveted it in place. Easy fix and looks OK.

I'll try and post a pic. I also replaced the silencer and fitted a new baffle tube as the original had rotted away. Slightly more tricky but fine all the same.

No the silencer. Mine had a hole in the side and I bought some 2mm ally sheet , cut a section out and riveted it in place. Easy fix and looks OK.

I'll try and post a pic. I also replaced the silencer and fitted a new baffle tube as the original had rotted away. Slightly more tricky but fine all the same.

This shows where the axhaust can wear.... and my patch to fix it.

Exhaust.jpg

Edited by sharkbait

Thanks for the posts and picture about the exhaust guys :thumbup:

I had a look at the bike on sunday morning.

The bike looked pretty good to be honest, not as toad like as i thought it might. The wheel bearings and headstock bearings had been done. As had the air filter.

The back tyre was ready for changing but the owner was a motorcross rider mainly, so i could understand him maybe not understanding that the tyre was dead for trails (it has been turned as well)

Looking at the frame numbers showed that it was a 1997 ! not a 2001, and while he didnt put the age in the advert, he did tell me via a message that it was a 2001.

But i still looked at the bike,

After chatting with the bloke he told me that it had recently had new piston rings done by a mate and the bike hadn't been run in yet or since. When we asked him where he bought the bike he said "we went a long way for it" but didnt actually say where. He also told me he'd only ever rode it once and its been stood a year. I asked why he'd bought it then and he said he'd had a sherco that he rode instead...

Leaving that info to one side i attempted to start the bike. But turned out it didnt want to start.

i tried it:

- With the choke on

- Choke off

- taking the plug out and burning the oil/fuel off the plug (as i presumed it would be flooded)

- I also emptied the carb to remove any oil sat in the bottom.

- There was a spark too

I figured it may need a little more fuel in the tank or bumping it could help.

But by this point i decided i didnt want the bike. I've had bikes in the past that have been a bugger to start and i didnt want to have those problems again. Plus if the piston has been replaced without the bore being replated i wondered if it was going to suffer with poor compression anyway?

So, im going to keep looking see if i can scrape abit more

Something defo wrong if it wouldn't start from cold as I think the 315's are quite well known for starting 2/3rd kick - my '97 does anyway. New rings could only have helped the compression and in fact the owners book says that you should replace the piston every year!

Sure you'll find another - the cool thing is that, apart from the forks and carb, the bikes didn't really change at all so you now know pretty much all you need.

Edited by sharkbait

yeah something wasnt quite right about it, but in fairness it seemed ok, apart from it not starting.

Think im going to keep an open mind when i look at bikes now, think im going to bob up to a friends tonight to play on his 05 Rev3. Who knows maybe i'll do a career change and become an electrican as well ;)