Greetings from Knoxville, TN

tntrials

I've been riding motorcycles for a few decades now but I don't think I've ever ridden a Trials bike. I have been amazed by the things they can do and now I live in a place with lots more vertical and rocky off road scenery, I believe a Trials bike would be perfect!

Before I purchase one I would like to get some recommendations. I'm much more familiar with the Big 4 Japanese marques and street bikes in general. Gas Gas, Beta, Montesa, Sherco.....very unfamiliar to me.

What is reliable and easy to get parts for in the US? I'd like to get a nice used bike first. Where would one look for a Trials bike, there weren't too many on eBay or my local Craigslist.

I look forward to this new adventure.

I've been riding motorcycles for a few decades now but I don't think I've ever ridden a Trials bike. I have been amazed by the things they can do and now I live in a place with lots more vertical and rocky off road scenery, I believe a Trials bike would be perfect!

Before I purchase one I would like to get some recommendations. I'm much more familiar with the Big 4 Japanese marques and street bikes in general. Gas Gas, Beta, Montesa, Sherco.....very unfamiliar to me.

What is reliable and easy to get parts for in the US? I'd like to get a nice used bike first. Where would one look for a Trials bike, there weren't too many on eBay or my local Craigslist.

I look forward to this new adventure.

I think it would be time well spent for you to go down to the Trials Training Center and maybe get yourself an introduction to trials,You need to start off right and not develop any bad habits right away!

Being east of the Mississippi a Sherco is a great choice,you're not too far from Ryan Young :thumbup:

Trials will even help your street riding!

Use Search Tempest or Craiggers to search nationwide for trials bikes.

Edited by htrdoug

HERE is a link to Trials Training Center near Chattanooga.

Call and ask for Charlie, he may have something for you.

Look up RYPUSA.com and search in the used bikes list or call and ask Ryan what he may have around.

All the bikes are good, some more jikky than others. I usually reccomend a 250 for a beginning rider with some ability. :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

I grew up in Central Florida and have ridden MX bikes alot for woods riding, I'd put my skills at slightly better than average as are my street bike skills. My brain just doesn't seem to like to go as fast as it used to, not to mention this area of the country doesn't really let you use lotsa horsepower, on or off road.

I have no desire to compete rather just ride in the woods behind my house. I live on a ridge with trails and old wagon roads but none of it is flat or open. An MX bike would be work just to control the power.

Thanks for all of the info, look forward to more.

...I have no desire to compete rather just ride in the woods behind my house. I live on a ridge with trails and old wagon roads but none of it is flat or open. An MX bike would be work just to control the power...

The thing is,trials events aren't anything like a motocross,hare scramble,or enduro,It pushes your skills but your real challenger is always yourself,The people(and dogs!) are all great,it's just a big motorcycle riding party! No rushing about,you do things at your own pace,I am so kicking myself for not getting a trials bike 30 years ago.You start in the easiest class no matter what your moto skill level is and get used to how the events flow and learn the basics,pretty damn soon all the things that would make you pucker during trail rides become almost non-events,even when you happen to be on that MXer or clunky DualSport. I am the most socially backwards person I know yet I love to go to trials events and just hang back and hear the stories(I do tend to leave early as I usually have a 5-6 hour drive home since I live at the western edge of our region) but I always look forward to being there at the next one :thumbup:

Man,if I lived within a couple of hrs from TTC I'd be there every weekend...

Hi ; Being in Knoxville check out http://www.stratrials.com/ there are members in your neighborhood and they have classifieds on their site too. you maybe able to find a Yamaha TY or a Honda TL / Reflex for cheap if you just want to play in your yard .

If you've got time Sunday , take a drive to Shelby NC and meet some MTR folks . We are having a fun ride tomorrow and a Ryan Young Trials school at the same location in March ...Details can be found here

http://metrolinatrials.com/ Great people and a guaranteed good time !!! I'll be the grumpy old guy on a Fantic 240 pro and my youngest son may be on my Fantic trials bicycle ...

But be forewarned ; Trials is ADDICTIVE !!! and it will make you a better rider in all discipline's on two wheels . In trials your hardest competition is yourself ...

Glenn

Welcome TNTrials, there is a ride tomorrow near lenoir city that is a mixture of Trail and Trials riders.

We have a small group of dedicated riders here in south east Tn. If we can be of any assistance, just send me a PM for more info.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I may go look at a 2001 and 2003 Gas Gas 280. What should I look for or be weary of? Both were purchased new and just ridden for fun, not competitively. I know this isn't always a good thing but they look to be clean and in good shape.

I'll try searching on the rest of the forum too or please list a link.

Thanks!