Newbie looking for a bit of advice?

enwod

My excuses first aha :rolleyes: :

It's my first time on a trials bike and first time on a motorbike since I was about 10ish, so excuse the whole non-impressiveness of it.

Just after some tips if you can spot anything in the small amount I did in the videos.

Thanks, Josh.

Edited by ENWOD

Seriously though! I will attempt to give you a couple pointers!

When you want to wheelie, drop the knees and move forwaard like you are Boinking the gas tank to weight the front, then exrend legs and arms moving (rocking)back to lighten the front. You can practice this stationary. The front becomes almost weightless. No jerking, just extend arms, the timing on the little bit of throttle you need becomes more natural.

Learn to steer with your feet! Weight the side and let the bars follow the lean angle as it flows. Bar is used for corrections only and keep your weight off them. A motorcycle WILL NOT turn properly unless leaned!!!!! If you do this you will keep your body centered over the bike and just lit the bike move under you if you keep your feet out a couple inches on the pegs and do not hug the frame.

It all takes time to become more natural, so learn how to turn and such at home if you have a small open area. Close your eyes and feel the bike in a figure eight! Keep inside arm straight, outside elbow bent!

Gotta give the thing some beans to keep it cleaned out, run it down the trail and rev it out. Don't put too much oil in the gas as 80:1 of quality oil is plenty and then some for you right now! :thumbup:

Lastly , have fun playing, and get a Ryan Young training video or others (all) and learn! :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

Boinking

What!?!.....back to the 1970's.......Sid James and Hattie Jaques in "carry on Dabbing".....a tittilating look at the world of trials......"ooo err Missis".....

(I am Aware that this will be completly lost on our American cousins) :P

Seriously though! I will attempt to give you a couple pointers!

When you want to wheelie, drop the knees and move forwaard like you are Boinking the gas tank to weight the front, then exrend legs and arms moving (rocking)back to lighten the front. You can practice this stationary. The front becomes almost weightless. No jerking, just extend arms, the timing on the little bit of throttle you need becomes more natural.

Learn to steer with your feet! Weight the side and let the bars follow the lean angle as it flows. Bar is used for corrections only and keep your weight off them. A motorcycle WILL NOT turn properly unless leaned!!!!! If you do this you will keep your body centered over the bike and just lit the bike move under you if you keep your feet out a couple inches on the pegs and do not hug the frame.

It all takes time to become more natural, so learn how to turn and such at home if you have a small open area. Close your eyes and feel the bike in a figure eight! Keep inside arm straight, outside elbow bent!

Gotta give the thing some beans to keep it cleaned out, run it down the trail and rev it out. Don't put too much oil in the gas as 80:1 of quality oil is plenty and then some for you right now! :thumbup:

Lastly , have fun playing, and get a Ryan Young training video or others (all) and learn! :thumbup:

Brilliant! That was the sort of thing I was after - thanks for that. Didn't even realise I was turning wrong, so that'll be a big help. Thanks! :)

Brilliant! That was the sort of thing I was after - thanks for that. Didn't even realise I was turning wrong, so that'll be a big help. Thanks! :)

One last thing, once you learn to wheelie and turn with the pegs, then you can combine the two into a "floating turn"! Same principals apply!

And just about the time you think you have it or get tired and lazy, you will bend the inside elbow and take a dab to the inside! Ha! :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

Definate improvement there, how much time was spent in that 3 weeks, just out of curiosity? Where was the first video taken?

Out once a week for 3 hours or so = 9 hours later growing in confidence

It was at Bures Pit the first one

Blimey, that is a faster learning curve than I seem to have, maybe I could join you sometime for a ride? How do I get a ride at Bures? I thought that was just for 4x4s? Post up your next video it`s always interesting to see people improving.

I`m from Clacton, Occasionally go to Raydon when it`s open, but mainly been entering trials as I like to try new places. I have never been to Poles wood, did`nt like the idea of paying for a membership before I`ve ridden it and it`s a fair drive just for practice, but your videos look good maybe I should try it soon

I`m from Clacton, Occasionally go to Raydon when it`s open, but mainly been entering trials as I like to try new places. I have never been to Poles wood, did`nt like the idea of paying for a membership before I`ve ridden it and it`s a fair drive just for practice, but your videos look good maybe I should try it soon

You can ride Poles as a guest of a member for £15

more vids HERE

Edited by bmseven