Ty50 Bogging

john b

I've been restoring a TY50 which is almost complete. After sorting the electrics it starts no problem and ticks over really nice. Problem is on opening the throttle it bogs really badly, throttle off and it will tick over no problem. I've changed needle height with no luck. The oil pump has been removed and now on premix - and also I've had to add an aftermarked 'bolt on' filter as there was no filter on the bike.

Any advice appreciated !

cheers

John

I have no direct experience with the TY50, but many years ago I restored a fifty that had been standing for a long time and it would virtually cut out as soon as the throttle was opened beyond a certain point. This was caused by corrosion inside the main jet reducing the size of my orifice!

I've been restoring a TY50 which is almost complete. After sorting the electrics it starts no problem and ticks over really nice. Problem is on opening the throttle it bogs really badly, throttle off and it will tick over no problem. I've changed needle height with no luck. The oil pump has been removed and now on premix - and also I've had to add an aftermarked 'bolt on' filter as there was no filter on the bike.

Any advice appreciated !

cheers

John

Sounds like crankcase seals on the way out.

More than likely the lack of the original air filter . Try blanking off your aftermarket one with duct tape until it corrects the fuel air ratio. Most ty's will cut dead just off the pilot jet with the std air filters removed. This remedy will show the problem which can then be cured by upping the main jet considerably.

More than likely the lack of the original air filter . Try blanking off your aftermarket one with duct tape until it corrects the fuel air ratio. Most ty's will cut dead just off the pilot jet with the std air filters removed. This remedy will show the problem which can then be cured by upping the main jet considerably.

Hi John, I had a similar problem with my sons Ty80. I bought it before Christmas and it was running fine but needed some cosmetics. I fitted many new parts inc clutch adjuster, cables, new air filter etc but couldn't get it to run properly. Starts first lick, idle spot on and ok in first with low revs but open the throttle and it died. Thought it must be fuel, new tap, cleaned and checked carb jets etc no difference. Finally got to the problem, the mid box of the exhaust was tight up against the back of the air box inlet. The exhaust mount bracket under the seat had partially snapped and someone had created a clamp with two large washers which had slipped. Might not be the case with yours but worth a look. Make sure there is a decent gap between the airbox and the exhaust.

Rich

Thanks to all for the replies - much appreciated !

Solved by repacking the aftermarket filter with some dense foam with filter oil. Still needs a little tweaking with jetting etc - but just about sorted. Many thanks

phoenix_tat

youre a couple of miles away from me in Durham - My son rides a TY80 as well - has done for just over a year(and he has an immacuate Whitehawk waiting in the wings !) He competes in the TY conducted routes, theres a one at Oxen Law this weeek.

Does your son compete ? Conducted routes are graet to get the kids started - I help run them at Consett/Stanley trials with the conducted route

cheers

John