Strippers

andy.t

Sorry not the kind you were thinking of. I wanted to strip some paint off a gearbox cover and it looks like the old Nitromors containing dichloromethane has now been banned. I think its an EU thing, anyway I have tried some of the new type stuff and can confirm its crap. Do any of you still play around with your chemistry sets? could you point me in the right direction so I can make something like the old stuff.

Cheers for any replies.

I use a blast cabinet with glass bead for many small parts that need to go back to bare metal. Does a fine job yet requires a good air source as well. You may find a local that can do that stuff on the cheap.

We still have some chemicals here that work, but they are messy as well. :rolleyes:

I've been rebuilding a car over the past 9 months or so, and for removing the majority of the paint from small, fiddly peices like covers, and old hubs, I've used a wire brush attatchment for the drill - bit neater than sandblasting, but will eat through the paint in seconds - be careful not to be too vigourous, as they can remove small amounts of metal, so dont use them on any sealing surfaces - on these, you're best to just use a few coats of nitromors.

So yeah, either as Copemech says - get them bead blasted locally, or buy yourself a wire brush for your drill - most good industrial and tool stockists will have them, if not, they're only a couple of quid online!

You're after this kind of thing.

2828413125_04a97eca44.jpg