247 Evolution

chris_

Hi

My original had an rectagular tube tail pie with the outlet biased to the of side of the silencer so that it missed the rear mudguard and fitted neatly between the shock mount and mudguard.

The one I currently have has a round tubular outlet that requires the mudguard to be trimmed to get through the gap!

It appears original, but to me seems strange as i cannot understand why the factory would produce it in this way.

Are there any pictures that show the layout for 21M1800 model thet was made in April 70.

Hope you guys can help, and yes I know the frame should be white!.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y63G3g9XTHw/T3tnRK1I6UI/AAAAAAAAAf0/w1ezYEZ4Ufc/s128/P1020927.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BnuhfgxGrxo/T3tnSgits_I/AAAAAAAAAf8/3pMm_SFEAzU/s128/P1020928.JPG

Regards

Martin

I note the 247T below which is my model has a white or silver frame - mine is black which with the current 78 model tank and seat fitted works. But if I want to return it to original does anyone know if that is white or silver? Also does anyone know who can reproduce the tank decals - mine are a bit knocked around

Cota_247+T+1976+21M21482.jpg

I never realised the original guards were polished - I cut mine back to bare metal but the thought of turning that into a highly polished smooth finish was daunting and so the white paint went back on :(

Edited by keychange

I note the 247T below which is my model has a white or silver frame - mine is black which with the current 78 model tank and seat fitted works. But if I want to return it to original does anyone know if that is white or silver? Also does anyone know who can reproduce the tank decals - mine are a bit knocked around

Cota_247+T+1976+21M21482.jpg

I never realised the original guards were polished - I cut mine back to bare metal but the thought of turning that into a highly polished smooth finish was daunting and so the white paint went back on :(

The only white 247 frames were the very early ones (mk 1 & 2) up to 1971. I think that the guide that I linked to, has got the two photos for the Trails the wrong way round. The silver one would have been first before changing to black.

www.vallmoto.com have got your Trail decals. I have bought bits from these guys and happy to recommend them.

Martin, I believe that your silencer should look like this one

SilCota247-1-2.jpg

The early silencers don't fit later frames and vice versa, which you have found out. I had the reverse problem, where someone had (badly) fitted a mk 1 silencer to a later frame by cutting and moving the fixing mounts.

Edited by Chris_

Hi Chris

Picture is a great help.

My original 68 Cota had a straight rectangle outlet pipe.

I modded mine to match the above picture and there was a slight improvement even though I kept the IRZ carb.

What I can't remember is if the tapered baffle tube remained in the centre of the silencer or was set off to the offside rear!

Or remained central in the box leaving the tail pipe off set and the gasses to collect in the rear portion (curved) to creat a bit of back pressure before exiting out the tail pipe.

Nostalgia is great when I can remember!

If you know the answer please tell, as I am about the cut and repack.

Regards

Martin

The only white 247 frames were the very early ones (mk 1 & 2) up to 1971. I think that the guide that I linked to, has got the two photos for the Trails the wrong way round. The silver one would have been first before changing to black.

Chris - that photo is definitely my model (77) as the 247T was not around until 1974 ( according to montesa web) and the early 247T had gold background decals in a different pattern where as mine has dark red body decals. According to montesa web my 21M23540 is post March 77 - the Australian compliance plate is May 77 - I always thought it would take longer to get from the factory to Oz.

I guess that picture may not be a factory image and could be a restore where someone (like me) have mixed and matched tanks/seats - but it sure looks like a new bike to me and apart from the frame is identical to my original 247T set up.

Edited by keychange

I just received a 247 WES muffler from SM ( good fast service thanks) and at first fitting the tail end points away from the rear guard at about a 30 degree angle - sticks out quite a bit. It is hard to get images that show this so I am not sure if that is normal or should I be adjusting the bracket to bring it close to the guard

Martin and Martin,

It is interesting that you mention the IRZ carb for the first 500. My mk 1 motor (#313) has an Amal 626 confused-smiley-009.gif

I have not seen this particular carb mentioned anywhere in relation to the 247 so I can only assume that it was a period alternative to the IRZ. My understanding is that apart from the first IRZ, all 247s had the Amal 627

As to the exhaust with this engine, it is as per Martin B's post, being the squarer shape. I don't know what it looks like inside though.

IMG_0763-1.jpg

Andrew

Having spent more time on this, and remembering the rule of don't believe everything you see on the internet, I think that these Trails went in the following order, confirming what you said.

1) 1974-1975 21M13830>

cota247t.gif

a1fd_3.jpg

2) 1975 21M19779>

ct247T1975BaseUK.gif

3) 1976 21M21482> Same shape tank and seat. New graphics

2141975500100902556QzPuSh_ph.jpg

4) 1978 onwards. New style seat, shares the same rear silencer (two mounting holes) as the 247c

cota247trail197821M253071.gif

Oddball graphic

13384755.jpg

Chris yep and 1976 21M21482> Same shape tank and seat. New graphics is mine and that bike has black frame - I wonder where the silver/white frame picture came from

The silver bike must be either an earlier bike that has had a Trail seat fitted, or been repainted. I think that we can safely sat that all Trail frames were originally black.