Ossa Tr280I Oil Change

deonattard

I changed the oil on our bikes at the weekend.

On the 2011, I only got a dribble out of the drain plug, layed the bike over but didn't get much.

Cracked the clutch cover as per directions on the Ossa Canada site and ended up with about 220ml of oil.

The 2011 is also lacking a magnetic drain plug which I'm going to order.

On the 2012, I didn't have to crack the clutch cover and got 220ml.

I put 220ml back into both bikes and the oil is at the top of the glass.

Does that sound right? The book says there is 350ml of oil in there which means I've changed less than 2/3 of the oil.

I used the GRO Synthetic 10w/30 oil which seems to be recommended - I couldn't find the 75w oil here in Australia.

Just changed my oil to the recommended GRO 75W, approx 300ml fills it to the top of the sight class. You will always get less out than you put in due to oil cling etc.

Edited by Taff_d

When you change your oil it is best to have the oil at operating temperature so it will flow more freely.

I do crack the cover for an oil change and carefully measure what comes out, have mostly came up with 290 ml.

Not a GRO fan, either gear oil or 2t. and use 75w light gear oil.

How did the bikes go at the Easter Trial ?

When you change your oil it is best to have the oil at operating temperature so it will flow more freely.

I do crack the cover for an oil change and carefully measure what comes out, have mostly came up with 290 ml.

Not a GRO fan, either gear oil or 2t. and use 75w light gear oil.

How did the bikes go at the Easter Trial ?

We were crapping ourselves when we walked the sections, we'd only ridden the bikes around the yard once!

Friday afternoon and Saturday were fairly terrible, I was asking myself what had I gotten us into.

Aside from being ready to pass out from heat stroke by the time I got them started, the bikes were great! I just love mine, once it starts easy it'll be perfect. I rode a pretty knarly hill climb about 10 times which no-one expected me to get up being a beginner. I'm just amazed by the power and grip.

I'm working with the importer to get our maps and tps checked - unfortunately the local dealer doesn't have the cables or software at this time so other arrangements are being made. The importer has been great and I'm sure he'll fix this issue for us before much longer.

I was starting Dad's a lot for him and at one point he rode off and I just couldn't get mine to start. Luckily someone noticed me missing and came to lend a hand.

Dad ended up swapping his for a Beta 200 with one of the ladies for the first day. She was stoked to have a new bike and he was happy to have one that started easily! As a lady, she couldn't start it either but she wasn't embarassed at all to ask a passing rider to start it for her :-) She was also a lot better on the clutch so wasn't stalling it at all which Dad was going a lot.

I'm pretty much happy with mine other than starting.

On Sunday we both did really well, I rode every section and managed to clear a few of them. Dad stuck to the first 3 sections and just kept doing them over and over and he cleared most of them several times by the end of the day.

For Dad, we've ordered the following parts to make it easier for him:

1. 10t front sprocket

2. slow action throttle

I'm looking into the following items:

1. exploring softer fork springs, Dad is only 60kg and the front is too firm - is there any pre-load spacers that can be removed or do we just need lighter springs?

2. Might consider the flywheel weight as well to make it more difficult to stall, havn't looked into pricing on this item as yet.

3. Idle needs increasing on Dad's, its VERY slow and as such easy to stall if you arn't on the throttle and clutch all the time.

Second day was a lot better, we didn't even try and start the bikes without leaning against a tree so not as much energy was expanded. I also left Dad to start his own bike which meant I wasn't as knackered.

PS. Both bikes were hot when we did the oil, Dad's oil was still really thick - I guess his had 75w in it and I think mine probably had the 10w30.

• 1 month later...

First oil change I used GRO 10W/30, the clutch dragged a bit when cold but it improved as the bike warmed up, clutch feel was good.

I've just done the 2nd oil change, you need to loosen the clutch cover even on the 2012 bike if you want to get most of the oil out. Oil was very dirty even though its only done 3 or 4 hours since the last change. The manual says to do the first change at 5hrs and every 20hrs after that - I'll be doing it a lot more regularly until it cleans up.

I've changed the oil to GRO 75w, immediately the clutch drag was reduced cold and the feel for me was better. I'd say the GRO 75w maybe the oil used from new, I feel its nicer than the 10W/30 so will be sticking to the GRO 75w even though it wasn't so easy to source in Australia but I know where to find it now.