02 Rev3 Replacement Parts How Often?

andy_290

Hi All,

New to this game again after a long lay off, bought an 2002 270 Rev3, but am at a bit of a loss as it's obviously loads different than my Majesty and Fantic 240 were 11 years ago.

My questions are: (sorry there's loads)

1) Do I need to fill the radiator up? Where do I fill it, how often and how much?

2) How often do I need to check the engine/clutch oil? where do I check them? What should I use and how much?

3) How often should I change the sprocket and chain, and fork seals, as I see this quite often on nearly new bikes!! but I don't know where to look for wear?

4) What petrol/oil mix should I be using? I've been told 35:1 by some places and up to 70:1 by others (inc Lampkins) so a bit confused!!

Sorry!

Just aint got a clue, or a manual!

pics would be great if someone has the time.

Many Thanks

Andy

Edited by arturner51

Hello Andy,

1) There are 2 black push-fit plugs on either side of the frame just above the radiator, next to the head stock. Prise off the left hand one and you will see the rad' cap. Use coolant, fill to the neck, run the bike and squeeze the rubber hoses to make sure that there are no air bubbles and the coolant can circulate properly.

2) Change every 4-6 rides and use 550ml of 'PJ1' gear oil. The drain plug is underneath the engine, there is a hole in the skidplate that gives you access to it. Change the gear oil when the engine is nice and warm.

3) Depends on how often you ride it, I'm usually on my bike once per week so I fit a new chain every 6 months and a new chain and sprockets every 12 months. Fork seals will only need changing if they leak oil.

4) 75ml of 'PJ1 Silverfire' 2-stroke oil in every 5 litres of high quality, unleaded fuel.

I've got a spare 2005 manual which you can have if you're in the UK, otherwise ring John Lampkin Imports for one.

it is good that you are rejoining the trials scene you have an excellent bike in the beta to my mind the best

may 2nd I think (check the website) man 17 dead easy @ high edge near buxton good event

turn fuel tap off after each event to avoid flooding

spark plug champion n7ycc keep a spare to hand

lots of web based info & john lampkin beta uk has a service schedule on his

radiator 50/50 distilled water & a good antifreeze gently lever out the black plastic cover to the left of the steering head screw on cap inside fill to top

check window for oil on left below water pump

drain plug underneath thro sump plate oil must always cover window 550cc

2% wear

when chain is clean lay out on a level surface in a straight line compress then pull from one end if overall length increases by more than 2 links in 100 then chain is due for replacement

2% or 50/1 silkolene comp 2 pre-mix with (if you can get it super unleaded) or regular unleaded

Cant add much, as its all been said..and very well too :unsure:

Personally on the petrol/2T mix I would go with Kinells advice. Its what it says in the book....75ml of GOOD 2T for every 5 litres of GOOD unleaded.

DOnt use the crap petrol else it'll probably knock.

I've used super unleaded and the same mix as above for the last 2 years and the bike still runs like new.

CHange/clean the air filter as often as you can....and order some ("silent blocks") from BVM-moto.co.uk

That is the rubber thingy that supports the mid exhaust to the rear subframe.

They are VERY cheap to buy, but I tend to get through about 3 a year..(probably 'cause I crash alot)...but thats one of a VERY few things I've had trouble with.

DONT pick the bike up by the exhaust...that will definately break the "silent block"...always just pick it up by the rear wheel.

ENJOY...my '02 is still bloody loverly!!...You've chosen well! :D:hl:

Hi All, thanks for the replies, I would love to have a look at the manual please kinell. Bought the bike off ebay so no manuals!

Will definitely be up for the trial on the 2nd if it's on, and if my bike isn't in bits from the Hillsborough trial on the 1st :unsure:

AS arturner51, I am new to the trials and this is my first post, and all your info has been really helpfull, I have been doing enduro's for the last few yrs and recently borrowed my mates gas gas 280 txt. I havent had so much fun in ages!! I now fancy getting a trials bike to play on and do a few trials on when theres no H&H's (Enduro's) on. I really fancy a Beta Rev 3. Is there anything in particular to check for on the bikes or questions I should be asking the owners when I go to look at a second hand bike (ie common faults). I could prob stretch to spending about

my own bike is a250 I think it is superb & just right for everything in the events I ride, the motor is very smooth & pulls brilliantly

the 270 seems to take more riding than the 250 I think this is why there always seems to be more for sale than there are 250s but then again they maybe sell more new 270s

I had a short ride on a 200 (1/2 a lap in a club trial) & thought it as good as the 250 with an even smoother feel to the motor & it went everywhere brilliantly

look at the review of the Bete Rev 3 200 on Moto-Merlin website (link on TC home page) but all 3 bikes have the same frame etc so it is only the motor that differs

why not blag a brief ride on each at a trial

by the way the 200 Gas & Sherco are overbored 125s actual ccs is about 160 so are still nearer a 125 the Beta is 200cc so nearer to 250

the biggest updates came with the 03 year change & not much major has altered since so that is a good year to go for but the earlier years are fine

let us know what you find