Is It My Stator?

pindie

Beta Rev 3 200cc 2007 - Just fitted my rebuilt shock, swingarm bearings etc and went for a ride. Shock and swingarm smooth as silk and really nice.

However, just about to get to the good bit of my local route and my bike died like it had been turned off. No issues before and was running as normal.

I checked obvious issues etc like fuel and carb probs and no obvious faults so took the plug out. I held the plug on the barrel nuts and kicked the bike over. No spark.

I tried other engine parts as an earth in the vain hope I had a poor contact. No such luck and still no spark. Tried spare plug - still no spark.

Took the magneto cover off and rusty water and gunge was in there. I am presuming this is my issue and the stator has died due to water ingress and rust? I need to get an extractor to get the steel plate (flywheel weight?) off as one of the allen screws has now rounded out (oh deep joy).

Is there a simple step by step guide that any one knows to do this strip/ repair job? Electrics are not really my bag.

Do my findings so far point to stator failure? No other issues before. I have also not used the bike in the wet for about six weeks so the water in there was old.

Edited by pindie

Beta Rev 3 200cc 2007 - Just fitted my rebuilt shock, swingarm bearings etc and went for a ride. Shock and swingarm smooth as silk and really nice.

However, just about to get to the good bit of my local route and my bike died like it had been turned off. No issues before and was running as normal.

I checked obvious issues etc like fuel and carb probs and no obvious faults so took the plug out. I held the plug on the barrel nuts and kicked the bike over. No spark.

I tried other engine parts as an earth in the vain hope I had a poor contact. No such luck and still no spark. Tried spare plug - still no spark.

Took the magneto cover off and rusty water and gunge was in there. I am presuming this is my issue and the stator has died due to water ingress and rust? I need to get an extractor to get the steel plate (flywheel weight?) off as one of the allen screws has now rounded out (oh deep joy).

Is there a simple step by step guide that any one knows to do this strip/ repair job? Electrics are not really my bag.

Do my findings so far point to stator failure? No other issues before. I have also not used the bike in the wet for about six weeks so the water in there was old.

does the flywheel not come off with the weight still on if not get someone to mig a washer to the allen bolt then a nut to the washer the heat will go through it and help it to undo aswell or try a dot punch and tap it round ,, more than likely is the stator the wires plug in in front of tank so remove tank top panel and side vents then you will see them its straight forward ,you will need a puller to remove flywheel ,after washing or using bike in wet remove the cover so it dries out ,,try west country windings and get it rewired ,they use heavier wire and are more reliable and cheaper than new

These do tend to get water in flywheel case, platic cover, wirig gromet do not seal well and the breather pipe exits too low - can suck water in in deep pools.

Have a look at the Bradford ignitions website. Your ignitin source coil should have a resistance of 200 to 250 ohms and generate over 20V ac when you kick the engine over.

Cheers

At the moment I am trying to get the flywheel nut off. It is tight as hell.

I have ratechet starpped the rear wheel to a plank to try and hold it all tight enough to undo the nut.

Any other ideas?

Its hard to describe in writing but here goes. You want 2 pieces of metal bar about 8m thick, 40mm wide and 50mm longer than the distance from the flywheel nut to the footest. Drill 8mm holes about 10mm in from each end of both bars. Fasten the bars together with an M8 bolt and nut at one end so they form a V. Put M8 bolts through the other holes and tighten nuts on. The heads of the bolts at the open end of the V can then be located in the holes in the flywheel and the other end held or jammed on the footrest.

Alternatively a garage with a windy gun should be able to do it.

Cheers