Sherco 290 Chain Sprockets

Guest coflet

Guest coflet

1 Month ago i bought a new chain (Renthal) when fitted the adjusters were all but at there limit (looked like the chain was on its last legs). 1 month later its out of adjustment (no more clicks left ) if i take a link out the chain is to short even with the adjusters taken off altogether.

I have been told by my local dealer that a half link that would sort the problem is not available from Renthall.

It seems to me that the only solution is to fit some youmee big cam adjusters or a smaller rear sprocket or buy 12 new chains a year or i could run your chains in for you.

Has anyone else had the same problem and what was your solution to the problem.

I cant remember having this situation on any other Sherco. the previously owned 290 s had 38 teeth rear this 2004 has 42 teeth rear. :huh:

well m8t,ive got graham jarvis's 04 works 290,as soon as i got it,i put a 11 tooth on the front,really good gearing,BUT,everyone's got there prefrence. i suppose ah?ive bought a new one for mine,it was a 102 link,perfect fitting.BUT WE ARE USING THE LARGE ADJUSTERS.the gearing,makes the sherco longer in the gears.........................your chioce,ok.pleased too help.

YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE big cam adjusters are your best bet or make some little spaces to push your wheel further back.

I've put a half link in. Does seem a pain in the butt that for most of the chains life I've got two split links in it.

I may have to try out the YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE chain adjusters.

• 2 weeks later...

So that funny looking link that I noticed yesterday on my stock chain is a half link? Instead of the sides of the link being on the outside 1/2 of the link in on the outside and the other 1/2 is on the inside.

What chain do you have to buy for the Sherco that comes with the 1/2 link?

As to larger rear chain adjusters, they certainly do look nice, but unless you elongate the wheel spindle slots in your swinging arm, they wont make the wheel go back any further than the stock adjusters, and are a great deal more expensive than the half link, that will cure your problem.

The standard chain adjusters DO NOT take your spindle back all the way. There's about another 7 or 8mm to go. That's what the replacement ones are for!

Have a look at yer Sherco.

Is there a modern bike that doesn't fit in to that category?

When you buy it you get a half link in the standard chain, and I suppose you're meant to buy a similar replacement.

GasGas had the same problem, you couldn't quite take the chain far enough to take a full link out.

But...yep I reckon it would be a beneficial improvement to the standard bike.

As far as I know the half link was put on as standard from 2003 onwards probably to alter the frame geometry, weight distribution or something like that.

So if you want the weight distribution, frame geometry to be exactly as it was designed to be, get a half link. To be honest though I can't see it making any difference to anybody who posts on here.