Flywheel Cover

deonattard

Its a bit quiet around here! On the advice of another forum member I've removed our flywheel covers to try and seal them a little better.

Sure enough, both bikes had a little water in the bottom of them.

There is no gasket but there is a lip on the lid for most of the cover except where the electrics come out.

We're going to put some silicon on there to try and seal the cover up. While in there we've sprayed some innox to prevent rust.

It does appear to be fairly poorly sealed.

PS. Battery kit is going great on both bikes, no issues to report.

Edited by deonattard

Hi Deon, are you going to silicone all around the cover to seal it? I only ask because of condensation forming if sealed completely. I seem to recall on my previous 315 that the flywheel cover had a breather hose to let air in and out that prevented this and wonder if something similar would be beneficial.

Battery Pack = :agreed:

Edited by canada280i

Drill a 3mm or 4mm hole at BDC to let any water or condensation out then just forget about it.

That tip comes from just about all bike factory's so lets not start arguing about it !!!

Edited by taff_d

Drill a 3mm or 4mm hole at BDC to let any water or condensation out then just forget about it.

That tip comes from just about all bike factory's so lets not start arguing about it !!!

With the amount of time a factory bike has to last I don't know if all their advice would be good.

I'll seal it up and check on it after a few rides to see how its going. It'll be impossible to get it air-tight due to the cables comming out.

With the amount of time a factory bike has to last I don't know if all their advice would be good.

I'll seal it up and check on it after a few rides to see how its going. It'll be impossible to get it air-tight due to the cables comming out.

I think this is why everyone's trying to get you to drill that thar hole.

The air in there expands and contracts, depending on the engine temperature and the shock cooling from going through streams etc.. another reason you may find it very difficult to get things air tight?

:agreed:

Although, I find that using phrases like the one above has the opposite effect on TC :hyper:

Edited by ham2