30 Years Absence

lyndale

At the grand old age of 58, I must be mad to try my hand at trials riding again ?

I made the fatal mistake of going to a Witley MCC trial back in March (ended up observing) and met up with lots of old riding friends from the 70's; many were still competing and enjoying the camaraderie of the trials world.

I found myself looking at twinshock M/C's and of cause "the inevitable" has happened with the purchase of a MH 349. The bike needs some TLC but I am enjoying the challenge; tinkering in the garage at night, fighting with the rear tyre etc only to realise how out of touch I am.

Ian.

I had a 30+ year absence from trials too , but not motorcycles . Then one day I for some reason made a 100 mile trip to look at a Fantic 240 (didn't even know what a fantic was at the time !) But now a few thousand dollars later and alot of time I've got a Kick a$$ twinshock and I'm competing whenever my kids let me ...

It's good for the body , mind and soul to get out there and have fun . And I don't get to practice daily like I did when i was a kid , but my hardest competition is still myself , And I'll still compete against the modern guys I ride with until I can't ride anymore. Trials has changed alot in 30 odd years but the core of the sport is still the same as always , some of the best people on motorcycles :)

Glenn

• Like 1

Me too, after 20 odd years out of the sport [retired at 50 years of age thinking I was too old] I'm back in and enjoying it. I find I'm as fanatical now as I was back then. Now I ride a Sherco 2007 200, even won a gold medal last year.

• 3 weeks later...

At the grand old age of 58, I must be mad to try my hand at trials riding again ?

I made the fatal mistake of going to a Witley MCC trial back in March (ended up observing) and met up with lots of old riding friends from the 70's; many were still competing and enjoying the camaraderie of the trials world.

I found myself looking at twinshock M/C's and of cause "the inevitable" has happened with the purchase of a MH 349. The bike needs some TLC but I am enjoying the challenge; tinkering in the garage at night, fighting with the rear tyre etc only to realise how out of touch I am.

Ian.

Spooky! I too am returning from a 30 year absence from trials and I too have bought a Montesa Honda MH349 that needs a bit of fettling. I'm considering a change of carb as the bike seems to have no snap to the power and the original Amal carb is clean enough just a bit worn I think.

I was also told to forget the twinshocks and just buy a modern bike and ride the white routes but it is the nostalgia of the 70's & 80's trials that is driving me and I don't care if life is more difficult on an old bike.

Good luck with your MH, perhaps we can compare notes / problems / fixes etc.

Mag