Chain Guide Removal?

smallboy

You'd probably be fine until it was noticed. Then I think many clubs would be wary about letting you ride. Yet again why? No performance advantage and you'll wear out the chain, swing arm and your boots faster. Most riders tend to go the other way and fit a Bigger Guard.

• 2 weeks later...

The upper chain guide is not well designed. If you go flat, your tire wears against it exposing one sharp screw end, which then cuts right into your expensive sidewall. Since slow leaks are not uncommon after a tire change, this is a very stupid design.

I know all this the hard way :(

as too scrutineers.....well it's pretty much darwin rules around here :)

7499638256_1570d3cb8d_b.jpg

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 1

I think everyone thought you were talking about the "shark tooth" guard at the rear sprocket. If it were me, I would just take the screws out, grind the sharp end of the screws off, put it back together? in fact I might do that right away myself now that you mention it, I have seen this happen to "friends" luckily not me (knock on wood).

But I dont know how important that guard is... I doubt anyone will notice, except at bigger events...

I think everyone thought you were talking about the "shark tooth" guard at the rear sprocket. If it were me, I would just take the screws out, grind the sharp end of the screws off, put it back together? in fact I might do that right away myself now that you mention it, I have seen this happen to "friends" luckily not me (knock on wood).

But I dont know how important that guard is... I doubt anyone will notice, except at bigger events...

I thought he was talking about the front swingarm guide at first, you don't want to take that off. Other than keeping gunk from the tire off the chain it doesn't seem to do much. I would grind the screw down rather than take it completely off.

As for the shark tooth, the stock ones are less than adequate from my experience in the many sharp rocks we have around here. I made this guard for my 02' about 10 years go and it's served me well. I used HDPE (used in some cutting boards, which is where this came from) and it's tough and slippery. This one hangs up a little higher as I changed from a 42T to a 44T at one time. Never had a problem with rocks hitting the chain/sprocket.

Jon

post-2532-0-66693900-1343836568_thumb.jpg