Chain Size And Link Count?

awilliams64

just had my chain come apart on my 04 sherco 290. Are these a standard non o-ring 520 chain? how many links is normal? i am just going to buy a new masterlink, but im thinking a new extra chain might not be a bad idea.

Edited by awilliams64

Hi, I would check the stretch in the old chain. I just bought a new chain and had to cut a few links off. I washed the old chain and measured the wear/stretch in it and was surprised in amount of difference. When it was all full of oil and crud, it appeared ok.

What chain is on your bike? To even get a masterlink to fit properly you need to know because they will not all fit properly!

Many Shercos of that vintage require a "half link" to fit properly, as I think my '03 and 05 models did. Seems there are only a couple of companies that offer this, Regina(factory chain) being one!

See what you have and let us know. Oh, the length is somewhere aroun 101 as I recall.

i think it says regina on it, i dont have a magnifying glass to make sure, here is a pic of what i have at each end.

here is one on ebay, says 420 but have confirmed its a 520, a few extra links but i have access to a chain breaker

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RK-Racing-520-M-Standard-Chain-114-Links-/230812925668?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bd85bee4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DID-520-STD-ROLLER-CHAIN-100-LINK-/400275167216?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d324257f0&vxp=mtr

P1080189.jpg

Edited by awilliams64

Anthony, 520 is correct - No O-Ring - you don't want the add'l drag this will bring and the trials bike really doesn't need an o-ring chain in any case. You can use any chain, even if it doesn't have the half-link. Just use your snail adjusters to get the correct tensioning. Should be approx 100 links for correct length, give or take.

Anthony, 520 is correct - No O-Ring - you don't want the add'l drag this will bring and the trials bike really doesn't need an o-ring chain in any case. You can use any chain, even if it doesn't have the half-link. Just use your snail adjusters to get the correct tensioning. Should be approx 100 links for correct length, give or take.

thanks brian, i will just get a standard 520 non oring chain. i think mine has had it anyway.

Your snailcams will be all the way out to start! Next you will need oversize snailcams or a 43 tooth sprocket!

Bputt is too young to know all this hi-tech info! (sorry Brian)

The factory chain is best, yet expensive at about $75 as I recall.

If your sprockets are worn, time to do the whole thing! And the S3 bling!!!!!

Mike has a kit here that is reasonable and a repair kit that may work as well.

http://www.tryalsshop.com/#ecwid:category=162629&inview=product1396507&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

Edited by copemech

It is true, the factory specified chain for the stock bike will be the "ideal" fit. Not certain that ALL of the bikes actually come with a half-link though, as we were just discussing this at the Ohio National when I was getting a new chain there, and there was some uncertainty depending on model.

That being said, and as I stated in my post "you CAN use any chain" - yes, tensioner size as well as sprocket size will come into play in this equation too... In fact to that point, if you have switched to a 9 tooth sprocket on the front (as many do), you will find the stock chain is long, and you will be spinning your snail cams. So there are definitely variables to be considered.

If you want absolute perfection, and the wheelbase at the optimal length as designed, and you have stock sprockets, etc., then by all means use the factory chain! And Mark will feel much better if you do!! :thumbup:

It is true, the factory specified chain for the stock bike will be the "ideal" fit. Not certain that ALL of the bikes actually come with a half-link though, as we were just discussing this at the Ohio National when I was getting a new chain there, and there was some uncertainty depending on model.

That being said, and as I stated in my post "you CAN use any chain" - yes, tensioner size as well as sprocket size will come into play in this equation too... In fact to that point, if you have switched to a 9 tooth sprocket on the front (as many do), you will find the stock chain is long, and you will be spinning your snail cams. So there are definitely variables to be considered.

If you want absolute perfection, and the wheelbase at the optimal length as designed, and you have stock sprockets, etc., then by all means use the factory chain! And Mark will feel much better if you do!! :thumbup:

i just want my bike to roll when i put on the gas....at my level i dont think wheelbase is a big issue. i picked up a couple of rk 520 100 link chains. Just to have an extra. I am sure the sherco one is best but even on ryans site he sells the did non roller 100 link for the bikes. Must be something to it if thats what he is stocking.

the 100 link chain is about 2 links short, so i guess its 102. got a longer one today to break down to the right size.

Adding one full link is going to cover two teeth on the rear sprocket(one inner and one outer) so you can hold it up there or wire tie it to ck accordingly to ck for your range of adjustment.

If that is too long, then you will need the half link kit. Which will shorten you by one tooth.