Sy250F Any Good?

hoggyf

Got a SY250F long ride available fairly close to me at a pretty good price so I'm kinda interested in it, Birketts told me it can have a normal trials tank on it if needed (or trial it as is??) I'm a very low level club rider so not the greatest but always liked the looks of the Scorpa, the Yam engine should be fairly bulletproof so anything else I need to know?? Don't see many of these for sale so isa there a good reason for this??

cheers

I've only ridden one once and it was a good few years ago so wait and see if someone else with a more recent experience chimes in a confirms/opposes my opinion of the bike.

Plus points (for me);

It was a comfortable,adjustable riding position.

Decent suspension

..and that's about it.

Negatives;

Hard to start (could have just been me).

Rides top heavy (very strange for a trials bike?).

Developed it's power quite high up the rev range (for a 4st).

Feels a bit wooden/heavy overall?

Something 'not quite right' about the gearing ( sorry to be so flakey,I'm not a real bike test journalist)

I couldn't really see the advantages over an SY 2stroke.

Yet, I rode a Montesa 4rt after that and it was saaweeet :wub:

Wayne

I've only ridden one once and it was a good few years ago so wait and see if someone else with a more recent experience chimes in a confirms/opposes my opinion of the bike.

Plus points (for me);

It was a comfortable,adjustable riding position.

Decent suspension

..and that's about it.

Negatives;

Hard to start (could have just been me).

Rides top heavy (very strange for a trials bike?).

Developed it's power quite high up the rev range (for a 4st).

Feels a bit wooden/heavy overall?

Something 'not quite right' about the gearing ( sorry to be so flakey,I'm not a real bike test journalist)

I couldn't really see the advantages over an SY 2stroke.

Wayne

Agreed, my impression too.

My few rides were about the same as hams. Although, the ones I rode were just standard setup. I've heard that with a few tweaks that something can be done with them, but I'm not sure what those tweaks would be, I've also heard the 08' is the best of the lot, but I never got the chance to ride one of those.

Got an 07 which I ride now and then.

Starts dead easy and easy to kick, def no shortage of power.

Unless you run a very fast tickover and run higher (10/50 I think) gearing it feels a right puddin.

Think suspension is great,bit quirky to work on and runs hot as hell so fan is wired constant.

Sounds superb,but a very acquired taste I love mine.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have the SY250F on a 06 and love the bike to bits i also have a 270 Beta Rev 3 2 stroke which i hate but it comes in handy as a spare. My Scorpa never lets me down and has all the power i need and more. The riding position is the best i have seen on any trials bike and the weight is no heavier than any other bike but i do admit it looks heavier. The Scorpa is 74 kilo drained and the Beta is 70 kilo so unless your a world class rider i do not think that 4 kilo will make a difference. As for starting the Scorpa has the choke on the handle bars and mine never fails on first kick. Scorpa all the way for me matey