Freaky Problem...

sting32

Here is a $1000 (or pound at least in $ per hours labor to find) Sure someone here will say, I knew that... :banana:

FREAKY problem I had... cheap, fix it for pennies.

My 04 gasgas 300 Pro (main culprit is the carb anyhow so might be related... for others hard start or running funny?)

stock carb

I discoverd the cause just sunday morning at the 2 day event, after it finally left me stranded on saturday, far from the truck as possible...

Background...

I've suspected & concluded that I've had this problem seemingly off and on for months... Anyway my bike would run when warmed up, as if lean, but only slightly and only at higher revs, but was really only apparent at times like, longish road ride, or sustained hills, or like between sections which I dont do a lot of at home... But for the most part, regular riding in section was nearly fine if even noticable by me (Im only intermediate level rider anymore).

But in hindsight, this SOB was getting harder to start for last 2-3 months, and while riding events, walking sections, anything when it was warm, (sometimes cold too) and all of the traits were slightly, ever so slightly, getting worse all the time (to me this is another clue least for gasgas Pro model harder starting?) My dad has a twin to mine, always seemed less trouble to get started, PS because of this, I know contributed to I have broken my kicker too.

Pre Note: about the symptoms I describe, they were slight to aannoying in nature, didnt seem much more than what I read here and other places about GG Pro's... So take note about that as to why We couldnt find the problem right off...

Sometimes to more than not, when running, it was as if gas was shut, but not completely off, but leaked through enough to run lower engine speeds, but once reved up for long, it might have been starved. I had no idea what it was, hell wasn't ever as bad as it was this weekend on the long loop trails, but it has been a bug in my butt I was startig to worry about...

So even Dad, and later I took the carb apart looking for a problem, expecting dirt... none, and no problem could be determined, least by us... (2 independant experts right? LOL!!)

So, you know, put it back together it 'seems fine' or least ok... but next long ride... Im to the point, what XXX could be wrong? I thought I knew it couldnt be the carb at all... so then I started to suspect electrical (heat type of problems...) Like I said when cold it was not bad to get going, because the float bowl would fill up full most of the time...

But this weekend, it was finally dead, and I worked for a couple hours and finally trouble shooted it to NO GAS at all getting into the bowl... hmmm

6 times sat night, and 6 more on sunday trying to find the source... clean everything, even used toothbrush and towels to clean the float needle and in desperation, I even changed the fuel line, put carb back together (without bowl) gas would run through the seat just fine, put the bowl on, finger over bottom hole, no gas... hmmm. played with that float 'arms', springing just fine, everything seemed fine, fuel runs push up, now it stops! put bowl on, I can blow into carb, seems right, hook to tank, remove screw on bottom of carb, no gas...

Well, I finally got lucky... one more time I took it all apart, by now I was ready to set fire to the damn thing...

Well, Long story shortened, it was the Float's needle was coming apart. It has a pin in it, you know that is spring loaded. Anyway, the pin part that goes inside the needle (that you guys wont normally ever see) has a fat part that is crimped to catch it inside the float needle, so it can NOT come apart, well this time of looking at all of this and cleaning the needle and seat, the pin & spring popped out of the needle on me... IMHO, I was lucky as heck to find it !!

erm well sort of, I had nothing to replace it with... Lucky I was at the table at the time though & I had all the parts to that needle. But what to do? What I saw was, the factory crimp was not as good as it prolly should have been... and the pin was able to back out, while in the carb, to where it would stick half fell apart, I was now extra long and have the needle closing the seat.

For months, it might been able to "rattle" back into its place and the bike would run sort of fine, if the floats only let little bits of fuel in, like during section ride or what not. but long loop riding, where the floats had to drop lower, then it would catch, and as gas came in , it closed off the gas sooner keeping the level really low, til not any at all...

Well I had no spares day 2 was upon me, and I broke the factory crimp trying to re-cripm it closed like they did. Oh man I thougth I was done too... I had to compete in less than an hour. So luckily, I crimped the rest of that needle near this end, at least enough with my pliers(holding the spring Compressed fully) to where that spring loaded pin, no longer could move.

BTW the dang bike ran better than it ever has since I got it!.

I got spares now on order, or will have.

ping!!! Spinner :huh:

GLA you guys, Im posting this to GG part of the board right after this...

Sting32

post-7-1115069707.gif

Hmmmm fuel injected 2 stroke, now that would be AWESOME!!!

anyway I know it was long winded, but stick it in the *you heard about it* drawer,

wow, to me this could be a reason SOME want the better 'carb'? Heck I was contemplating one, but dont need the power all wicked up!!!

IMHO, the bike is better now, I couldnt believe how much different it runs, even last night on the practice stuff I had been doing at home the last 2 months...

...if you cant be a good example, youwill have to be a HORRIBLE warning! Red Green

Thought I should update with info I have gleaned from getting my new needle and seat into the bike yesterday

and ask outloud...

Ordered the replacement needle and seat, GUESS WHAT?

I recieved it, the needle is (now) a solid unit!?!?!?! kewl but hmmmm

however it was about 1/2 - 3/4'ths of a milimeter longer lenght overall needle (only if you compare to completely compressed needle I had though... SO float 'hanger' arms, are they supposed to be prefectly level, when carb is upside down (needle is seated?) or hmmm anyone have thiers apart lately and notice?

Oh and BTW damn thing was 25 bucks? Oh well, it was just higher than I ever figured, I hear the damn gastanks are only about 50 bucks... So oh well. old cobblled up one is now a spare... (for now)

Ok, so what else on this damn thing am I going to find out, was a weakspot or a problem & that they quit building them with this part or that part? Suppose this is EXACLTY why everyone wanted the kehin carb upgrade so badly? Bike runs great again.

Shal anyone keep a list of post production UPGRADES somewhere on the 'net' boyz? Link up if you have one already started? thanks

Edited by Sting32

Yeah!... whip a Keihin on your Gasser.

Honestly, it will be the best thing you do to your bike! :huh:

Made a huge difference to my 300, I had similar problems to yourself.

Get it done!! :banana:

Hmmm.

Seems to be still a concensus on here and or other places where ideas and opinions are exchanged, that the original carbs suck, hmmm. I would think the 05 "might" been a selling point, updated carb? Maybe in 06 then? :rolleyes:

Oh well, about my GG bashing or 'ranting' which I would prefer to call it... isn't it that, at least a little bit, what a BBoard is for? ;)

I have stock 'timing' and personally for my level of riding, dont want to 'quicken' this bike any, IMHO. Now I say that for an honest opinion from you, when you say "best" thing I can do, are you of the opinion that a quickly-hard-hitting tuned engine is 'da-bomb' or maybe you aer a master rider?

If no, you like just a good smooth running machine... then maybe soon I can find me one of them cabs somewhere. Right now I have no $$ to play with, because I'd rather have the little bit to attend the meets, you know. :D

Edited by Sting32

I also used to grind off the tip of the needle and drop in a ball bearing when the seat was whipped.

Give the bearing a good whack with a hammer and punch to seat it in the brass.

Always worked perfectly, but maybe stuff is a bit more precise these days.

Not that I'm recommending that...it's just that my age causes me to be tedious and reminisce.