Ohlins Shock

coxy

I currently have a problem with my ohlins shock on my gasser 300 racing 2010 model. I took the old rose joint bearing out the bottom threaded end of the shock as it was pretty knackered ( the larger of the two bearings) and sourced a new bearing for it. When the new bearing arrived i could push it through the eye with my fingers! Ive since put the old bearing back in as at the time i couldnt source a new one but have since found that the shock is moving and pushing out the bearing. I now need to somehow get the bearing replaced or shocker body sorted.

My questions are

Has anyone else had this problem and have you found a solution?

What is the correct procedure for inserting the bearing? Ive read that its supposed to be pressed in and loctite 601 applied is this correct?

Anybody have any ideas as to where i could source a suitable bearing to fit?

Any help much appreciated

My 2010 didn't come with Ohlins... hmmmm.

By my 2006 did. that part I think, is called a himes joint, I think Gas Gas can get them for you. I know we replaced one on the ohlins I have... Seems you rotate that part a certain way, it and tap it out, tap new one in rotate it back to normal position...

But memory is failing, I would check with your dealer/parts supplier, if possible...

Same thing happened to a buddies 2010 race. I believe he pressed a steel sleeve into the shock body that was slightly wider to help protect the rose joint. The 601 probably cant hurt. I dont know the details, but imagined he had to machine the body to open up the ID and set the tolerances correctly. Most good machine shops would probably know the best approach here.

Sting - the 2010 Raga's that shipped to the USA had a Sachs shock - the Race got the Ohlins that year! Go figure. Now they have reverted back to the raga being the flagship with the higher spec Reiger.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. The sleeve sounds like a good idea but means getting it machined out which wouldnt be a problem, just a hassle. Ive been told that on the 2010 models there was a problem with the eye been too big for the bearing from new. Anyone know how much a new shock body would cost?

That is exactly the same problem as what mine keeps doing now. Dont really want to replace my shock as im getting a new bike soon but want to sort it out. I have been thinking about the sleeve idea as i can easily get one made up at work. Would using a smaller bearing o/d but same size i/d work? Thats if one is available obviously.

Cheers

There is a guy in Wichita ks, that rebuilt my sachs shock, he rebuilds shocks for motocrossers and go fasters, but he also used to ride trials so that helps... And so, I have to believe you "might be able" to get parts, not sure what the economic consequences would be (parts might be higher than new shock for the shock in picture above?)

I dont know why you couldnt find a source to get the parts, unless like so many things I own, they just dont make/sell individual parts. The sach is not rebuildable, but like I said this guy can rebuild them.

I also think a person could take that shock (pictured) and get it welded up. Sure, it depends on the alloy, but from what i see in that picture, you wont have anything to lose in trying it, before long...

Sting - the 2010 Raga's that shipped to the USA had a Sachs shock - the Race got the Ohlins that year! Go figure. Now they have reverted back to the raga being the flagship with the higher spec Reiger.

Lazer, thanks, I remember now that you mentioned it... Am I recalling it right? I was thinking I heard or read rumors at the time, that raga "didnt like the ohlins"? and that was why raga's didnt get the ohlins... But that could been "reasoning" for letting us have the sachs, lol. kinda like on 08 the early US batch of 300 Raga's had steel forks, although they were supposed to be aluminum, but they couldn't get enough for production maybe? I just remember being disappointed about that aspect, when it was uncrated in our shop. the 08' raga model was the prettiest bike Gas Gas has made EVER

That was the story I heard too. Of course Adams Sachs shock was alot different than ours or maybe he couldnt keep the rose joint in the Ohlins.

My dad gave the Al zokes off his bike to a customer who got the sachs steel jobs on his 08 Raga. Remember it well. It seems GG has ALOT of supplier issues in its history.

I would love to see a Chrome frame again.

Edited by laser1

The Ohlins is a sweet shock but is far to exposed. I should just get the Jitsie protector. I have the 2012 racing now, I can see the dog bones are slightly different from last years model, here is my latest mod. Just a piece of rubber drilled and bolted down with the shock, probably wont last long.

IMG_1286.jpg

• Like 1

The Ohlins is a sweet shock but is far to exposed. I should just get the Jitsie protector. I have the 2012 racing now, I can see the dog bones are slightly different from last years model, here is my latest mod. Just a piece of rubber drilled and bolted down with the shock, probably wont last long.

Tell me what you had to do, to get that rubber in there? seems to me, there isnt any room for that rubber on mine, lol. Very nice idea, I think.

I also think you should take it back off, now that you know it fits, make a pattern, and well, sell them... :beer:

1 That was the story I heard too. Of course Adams Sachs shock was alot different than ours or maybe he couldnt keep the rose joint in the Ohlins.

2I would love to see a Chrome frame again.

1... I bet that is the truth, "rose joint?" ok... Im waiting to see if those reigers start getting comments, or were they aware and made the shocks so this wont happen? you hear anything yet? Dad has the 2012 raga, dang it is very very nice shock, and Im not even that good but I can feel the difference...

2 I dunno with Algore and company, chrome is supposedly very environmentally un friendly to produce (which has raised the prices of it immensley).

I happen to have the alum forks off my 06 regular pro, on my 08 raga... I've moved myself up last year, to my 2010 raga. Those alum forks made that bike! I ride the 2010 better though...

Edited by sting32