Help For Trial And Trail Riding

gasgas23

Hi guys,

Im new here and to trials riding. I ride enduro but decided to get a gas gas 280 a few days ago.

Im sure this kind of thing has been covered but i have searched and would like a bit more help.

I know trials bikes are for trials etc but i would like to be able to jump and trail ride my trials bike. I love the low weight and how they react on trails. much closer to my mountain bike than my ktm enduro bike.

But how much damage will i do using the bike for that?? I know the gearing is all wrong but what else?

Yes the suspension is soft and not as strong as an enduro bike, but mountain bikes handle it so why cant a trials bike?

Am i really going to have a problem doing this??

Im not talking flat out fast fire roads for hours, more slower flowing trails with a few jumps and dropoffs.

I notice some pros doing FMX on trials bikes, will they be modded lots?

Sorry for all the questions but im sure you guys have lots of experience to help me out!

Many thanks

There is a new KTM Freeride 350 that was reviewed in Bike magazine a couple of months ago which is supposed to be a mix of a trial and trail bike looks good to me.

New to this trials lark meself so can offer no other useful advice.

I have a hunch you will end up riding the bike the way it was designed for at some point, hook up with a couple of trials guys and you will get addicted

if you were to try and ride a MX bike in a trials situation it would not work out, like Pindie mentioned a trials bike is incredible on single track, especially tight stuff but in open terrain and fire roads they are just not well suited

Thanks for the replys guys,

Yer i do have a ktm exc 250 2t for when i want longer fast stuff but i bough the trials bike for tighter single track stuff as well as tricky hills, a few jumps and generally going places an enduro bike wont go.

I imagine i will end up just doing small trials stuff rather than longer rides, but i recently bought a van so i can take to to where ever i want to ride. I just wanted to know weather they would handle tight single trail stuff with a few jumps thrown in!!

I basicly wanted a mountain bike with an engine that can be used for "stunting" and generally free riding.

So as long as they are good for that im set!! super excited to get out there and ride!!

add stiffer springs on both ends and a tooth or two up front to open up the section gears. pack extra gas, and pick the toughest lines you can find... that's exactly why i ride a trials bike now, coming from a mtn bike background i switched to a xc250 and then got the taste of a trials and never looked back. change the oil and filter often, dont let it get too hot and you'll be able to take it anywhere as long as you can pack enough gas.

I've ridden the Dawn to Dusk and the Beach race on trials bikes. You won't come last be they are not the right tool for the job. Trials and MX./enduro are very different disciplines.

The nice bit on a trials is your slow on the fast bits taking a breather and then slow but much quicker than a stuck MXer or enduro rider in the nasty bits. Pick your events and enduros can be a right laugh on a trials bike. Tight Welsh forests are a sinch on a trials bike!

I have gone up 1 tooth on the front so its now 11 and down on the back to 40. Thats the best i could find. Where can i get springs from?

I have sorted a larger tank and aux tank and hav even modded a pit bike seat to be cable tied on for longer rides when i want a break from standing. Its not huge so it doesnt get in the way for trails, but i would take it off for trials.

I will be doing some marshalling at enduros to get an idea of what it will be like.

Any other things i should be doing to it to help with the trails?

And are there any enduros with trials classes in them in England??

I dunno man, in my opinion you are spoiling a great trials bike to make a bad trail bike

It won't fit with other trials riders and it won't really fit well with your dirt bike buddies

I have never had much success adapting a motorcycle to suit a different task, in the end I have always ended up buying the bike that works

It has been modded so that the extras come off. the extra tank comes off, so does the seat. and a front sprocket is a 10 min job max. so its still a great trial bike. and i have a ktm for the dirt.

but have you ever ridden mountain bike single tracks an down hill type courses? unless your dave knight your not going to be able to do that stuff quick on a full dirt bike. plus the trials bikes are light enough to play around on an make small jumps fun, and endows, circle wheelies etc...... I cant do all that on the dirt bike but i can on the trials bike.

Check out this vid of Arthur Coutard and tell me this doesnt look fun!! (I know he is one of the best and i wont be able to do what he is)

I also remember reading an interview with Julian Dupont who said he thought the trials bike was the best all round bike for having fun, so why would he ride anything else.

I think if done properly, it could be a great bike. like a ktm freeride but with a bit more play factor.