Sherco 125 Gear Selector Spring Change

slogger

I have just noticed that after I borrowed my sons Sherco 125 (2002) last month, the gear selector will select gears but is not returning to either central position. I have read thru the forum and the selector spring seems the obvious candidate. I cant see a thread for the selector spring change, but picking up the the odd piece of info and I right in the following:

1) Quoted as a "straight forward" replacement

2) Its behind the clutch basket (RHS engine case off)

3) It does not need the engine to be split

I assume if it is a straight forward replacement, its just a case of clutch case off, clutch basket out, replace spring, reassemble?

If that is the case, how hard is the clutch basket to get off? I have been working on a Montesa 348 which was on a tapered shaft which was a pig! How hard are the cutch baskets to shift on the Shercos?

Any help / advice is appreciated....

Rob

As I recall you must also pull the gear selector shaft to change a spring. Use the "clutch replacement guide" and the "engine teardown guide" in the pinned threads above on the Sherco website as a guideline.

It is best if you have a rattlegun, mark and replace the clutch hub nut and do not overtighten.

If the spring is broken, do not ride the bike!!!! because if the broken part of the spring gets into the gears you have bigger problems!!!!

Clutch basket is easy BTW, just watch where the washers and bearings go back, use guide as stated.

Another http://www.shercousa.com/?action=9 linkey

Edited by copemech

Now here is an interesting learning...... took the clutch case cover off and magically everything went back to normal............. so what was the cause I hear you ask?

Well I now know that the end of the gear selector butts against a small moulding on the case to prevent lateral movement. As I was rushing to get the bike ready I used plastic gasket instead of a standard one. The difference in the thickness was just enough to pinch the selector shaft against the moulding and stop the shaft from naturally returning.

Talk about tight tolerances! Have now ordered a gasket!