Kickstart

cursed

When kicking the bike over you can feel it kind of "crunch" and engage normally, and occasionally the kickstart gets stuck halfway down, as if the teeth of the kickstart have popped out and havent engaged properly.

Anybody have any advice on what will/might need replacing?

I can take it all apart no problem, but unless its blindingly obviously broken I wont really know what needs replacing.

More than likely you have knackered a few teeth on the kickstart gear, if so replace it and the idle gear next to it. Also check your clutch cover for a crack going from the hole the kickstart goes through upto the bolt above.

I've had a similar problem once, not a trials but they're all very similar as far as I've seen. Turned out to be a sheared tooth. If your competent to take it apart then I'd strip it and have a look, at the end of the day ya gonna have to strip it down to repair it anyway so...

Hope it's something simple!

More than likely you have knackered a few teeth on the kickstart gear, if so replace it and the idle gear next to it. Also check your clutch cover for a crack going from the hole the kickstart goes through upto the bolt above.

K thanks, will do. Replace the idle gear regardless or just if its damaged? Hopefully the clutch cover isnt cracked as I have a Raga and could be a pain to source a new one at a reasonable price lol.

Idle gear can look fine from the front, but be a bit of a mess behind. On my old gasser I replaced 3 clutch covers. The idle gear might of saved 2 of them and The idle gear is a lot cheaper that the clutch cover. The normal cover might fit your raga.

Yep its common and best remove clutch and then idle gear and inspect the inner side as you will only see outer side. The kickstart gear is usually ok but as said if both or one wears then it tends to crack the clutch case.

Been there done it all. Generally down to poor starting method.

Gonna strip it down this weekend. Ill need to drain the oil before taking off the clutch cover presumably or if I lay the bike over will I get away with it staying in? It's only a few hours old but I guess if its gotta come out its gotta come out!

There are some vids on YouTube showing how to do what you are about to do. Worth a watch, Gas Gas usa I think it was uploaded them. And like cope said have a look for metal fragments.

Thanks alot thats brilliant, just found the one about removing the clutch to get to the kickstart etc, very helpful as tbh I would have just gone on a whim of how to do it, and it looks pretty easy without taking the clutch basket apart.

Many thanks.

I had to remove my casing to fit a water pump seal and its really simple and straight forward.

The only minor faff I came across was the rubber between the bash plate and bottom of the engine was a slight hindrance on re-fitting because it was squished against the casing. It just made it slightly awkward getting the casing on square without damaging the gasket.

A little bit of patience though and it got there in the end.