Bearings Help

chewy

Is there anybody out there who is expert in ; torsion bar physics...machined springs.... or bearings.. I have (in my imagination) a cunning plan to make a swinging arm with constant chain tension, "different" suspension with adjustable footrest position thrown in for good measure. One of the problems involves using as low a friction sliding joint as is possible, ,I have in minds eye something like a strip of needle roller bearing (c 10 wide X 150 long X (eg). 2mm thick which can be "bent" & fitted into the "joint" a bit like big end shells in a car conrod./

What I.m trying to achieve is less weight , less unsprung weight, C.O G. lowered, more space for airbox/exhaust, constant chain tension, rising rate springing with seperate damping.

A little project to play with in my retirement is all it is , if I/we can stimulate some new ideas for development of better trials bikes along the way, so much the better.

Don't think a short lateral torsion rod would work if that is what you are asking. The bearings may be possible!

I did hear they found a metal with enough memory in that alien crash at Area 51 in NM a few decades back, not sure about the rates?

• 3 weeks later...

Early eighties somebody did something like this,

The swing arm pivot was concentric with the front sprocket, it was two pivot bolts one each side, also a high and low ratio gear box so it had the equivelant of eight gears. (2x4)

I'm going to see if I can look it up.

One of the biggest issues a manufacturer faces is patent infringement, really hinders development

The trick new thing you want to see might be used on some lawn tractor or something and the manufacturer either needs to pay the patent holder or do something different

The game that companies like Honda plays is that they let some brands infringe on their patents, then a couple of years down the road they can threaten and control things through potentialy very expensive legal action

Honda makes Billions every year licensing things they will never use to other manufacturers

Sucks huh, so next time you look at your bike and say "why did they do that?".....it's probably because they had to, not cuz they wanted to

Hi Chewy how is it going mate.

If it is for you you can copy anyones patent.... you just can't sell it to anyone or make a 'gain' from it.

I have a book on springs around here. Somewhere unpacked. I'll try dig it out.

Your standard spring on the bike is acting exactly like a torsion spring... but someone just wound it up to a convenient shape. so.... Flipp'n heck you're talking of a short spring mate. I'd imagine making a strong connection at either end of such a powerful spring will be the challenge.