Gas Gas 280 Non Starter

r1 chaz

Hi my first post trying to fix a gas gas 280 when you try kick it it starts but only on tickover for a few seconds and cuts out kick it again and the same. I have put a new plug in and cleaned carb but it's still the same. Can anyone help

Pushing the pickup about is altering the ignition timing,it will run in reverse if its too far advanced.I dont think the pickup should be that movable,it aso wants to be as close to the flywheel as possible to get the best sparkTake the plug cap off,hold the HT lead 6mm from the cylinder and kick it over.If the spark will not jump the gap the spark is too weak to run properly.Do you know anybody with a similar bike so you could swap parts one at a time till it runs right

Just had a mess about with it if you push the pickup for the flywheel to one side it will run but only just if you push it to other side it starts in reverse lol wtf is that all about

Did you have to loosen the pickup to "push" it or did you just push it and it moved?

If it is loose maybe it starts ok and then vibrates and moves to new position causing bike to stall???

The bike was a non runner when I got it the pickup was tight just put 2 new bolts in it in when I tried it it was in reverse so pushed it the other way and it will run like a bag of bolts and will not rev . Can you buy the pick up ???

The pickup is how you set the timing on the bike. It is not a case of push it all the way one way or the other. I believe there is a you tube video on how to properly set the timing.

You said it runs backward oif you move it too far in one direction. Does it run well backwards? If it runs well, then spark and fuel are OK, it is just timinig. If it runs poorly in either direction it could be spark or fuel or other problems.