Drinks All Round

magoo

Hi to everyone, new on here and so first round is on me ( so to speak!!!!!!).

I originally came from a road background and bought an enduro bike to get me into the muck so to speak. I am between enduro machines at the moment but have fancied a trials to mess about on for fun and balance practice.

I have an option at buying a beta 250 techno 2001 for £800 but having no knowledge of trials machines I wouldn't know if I'm buying a pup or not.

So if anyone has any idea it would be great to hear from yous. I know that with this age of a bike maintenance will be necessary, but will the parts like piston, levers, bearings etc cost an absolute fortune or should I be safe enough.

Enjoy your pints!!!!!

Hi and Welcome.

I'd check 2 things first off; is it 2001 and is it a techno? 2000/2001 were crossover years for the last of the technos and first of the Rev3s. The rev3 is superior in pretty much all areas.

As for parts; you can get all you need for either model, but for a 2001 bike at £800, it's top dollar so expect it to need for nothing at that price. If it does, I suggest walking away as there is plenty of choice.

You've spotted the right things to look for; bearings are the area that takes a hammering. Check for wheel bearing play (not expensive) and gently lift the rear of the bike to feel for free play in the linkages (a Techno has linkages, a rev3 doesn't, but the shock lower mount will also show up on this test, and that's £30). Tyres adds £120 to the bill. As a beginner, it's not so critical, but if you ride trials, you'll need a decent driving edge. If the edges are rounded, they are good for practice and general playing only.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter whether the bike is 12 months or 12 years old, you'll still have fun!

Anything else, just ask.

Graham

i've a 1999, it was the last techno, 2000 onwards was rev3.

price - it all depends on how knackered it is/looks. there are many out there that haven't been trashed by northern experts over rocks, there are soft shandy drinking southerners who's bikes have only seen mud and not damaged. anyway i run an old bike, as long as it's monoshock and water cooled (early 90's onwards) you can have fun on modern trials courses, while older bikes (air cooled, twin shock, pre65) are still fun in their own categories.