Bvm Test Day

jj65

Popped over to buy some kit and had a go on a few of the new bikes.

JTG 250, very nice, light, great suspension, grips great, didn't like the gear lever travel and lack of positive action/gear selection.

OSSA 280, very light but feels old fashioned, engine not particularly that nice, didn't like it straight away to be honest, so not really fair to say much more. (I nearly bought one 16 months ago, unseen or ridden, TF I didn't)

Beta 125, great bike, I could get much better results with this bike, feels light and small, front forks were awfull, wooden and felt like they bottomed out easily, but grips very well and has just enough power for a clubman. Hate the new colours and that rear mudguard :0(.

Pp

Montesa 280, loved it, yes it feels heavier than the rest, because it is, but everything works as it should, it feels solid and planted, the suspension is the best out of all of them, it rode the mud aswell as the others, in my not so capable hands :0).The 280 was very docile down low, but had Plenty when you wanted it.

None of the bikes were, WOW I want one, except the Mont 280, even though I don't need it :0), but the Beta was an excellent easy bike to ride for my level of riding (Im 47, 13.5 stone clubman "wobbler" rider) and if I'm really honest, would do just about everything I'm capable of easier, due to its lack of excess power and nimble handling. The JTG was a great bike and if I didn't like the Monts so much, would be the bike I'd buy, easy to ride, almost as good suspension as the showa's, docile engine but the gearbox :0( (to be fair, apart from the Mont, none of the others were that good).

So, I won't be rushing out to buy a new bike just yet, but will be spending a bit more cash on bling for my fantastic Montesa :0) I just get a fantastic satisfaction riding this bike and "smokers" just don't really get me that excited.

Thanks to Mark Kemp and all the BVM staff for a great day (when the rain stopped :0)), Breakheart is a great venue no matter what the weather does, plenty for all levels of rider to try the bikes, mud, rocks and steep banks and roots.

Also, to all the importers for the kind loan of their new bikes, for my perusal FOC, without obligation, so that I may, or may not buy one, (its food for thought for the future and I do know, 2 of my mates will be buying)

THANK YOU

• Like 2

After the battle to get there, due to the flooded roads, it was a great day out. Excellent venue, good parking, hot food, great to try out the new bikes and watch The Atom, JR, Coxy, Wiggins and Joe Baker practicing. Of the six friends who went, three are looking to buy new bikes, giving them a great opportunity to compare the various makes and for others, food for thought for future bike purchase. We then bimbled down to the BVM shop to buy some kit.

So many thanks to Mark Kemp, the BVM lads and to all the Importers for bringing the bikes., much appreciated.

So out of interest, would you say what bikes your friend's have decided to purchase?

Can't get a better opportunity than to try all the bikes over the same ground. Disappointed work prevented being able to take up this opportunity provided by BVM and the importers.