Steering Head Bearings

7495tj

Can anyone help?

I have stripped down the bearings out of my steering head on my 79 Bultaco Sherpa t 350 i purchased new ones i took photographs stage by stage but have lost them. Can anyone tell me which way round the new bearings should go to and bottom do i need to split the casings and grease all the bearing or do they not require any grease internally.

I have attached some photographs to for help please.I have labelled the photgraphs A B C D if that helps

Thankspost-17190-0-38754000-1353844978_thumb.jpgpost-17190-0-55217100-1353845058_thumb.jpgpost-17190-0-49549800-1353845218_thumb.jpgpost-17190-0-96131800-1353845145_thumb.jpg

b and c is correct pull the bearing out of race and tap or press the outer race in the frame ,this could be tight if powder coated and this could need to be removed before fitting outer race , grease the bearing and race then fit,,, i presume the inner bearing is just a loose fit if not fit as one with as much grease as you can get in them

Edited by zerorev3rev4

agree... b and c are right. you ll probaby have to remove the powdweer coating on the frame to get them in.. gentle persuasion with a wooden mallet is more than acceptable.

as for greaseing i was taught by an aircraft mechanic to pack only two thirds of the circumfrence with clean grease and assemble and spin... the taper bearing is really supposed to be used to be used for spinning shafts, eg car wheel bearings so spin it a fair bit before tightening up when its movement will probably be restricted to 120 degrees

good luck

hi mate good addvice from the other guys. like stated i would carfully sand the powdercoat back then with a block off wood or mallet as said slowley tap them in make sure you get them stright. as for the grease i use a water repellant red grese so it dosnt dry out and last ages. there pritty easy to fit just take your time dont rush. hope this helps you cheers bondy.

As already mentioned by the previous posters, to remove all paint, dirt, ... from the bearing sets is very important,

not only the side walls even the inner edges inside the stering tube.

Then I would first mount the lower bearing, and here first the lower half that comes to the triple clamp / yokes,

then the halv that has to be mounted to the steering head / tube.

Then mount the lower half of the upper bearing to the upper steering head / tube.

Now you can place the rollers with grease inside the lower bearing half of the steering head / tube.

DSC08220.JPG

Then again you can mount the triple clamp inside the steering tube.

After this procedure you can place the roller in the upper bearing half on top of the steering head.

DSC08221.JPG

Then you can place the upper half of the bearing shell.

DSC08222.JPG

This way you hopefully get the bearing mounted without loosing any rollers by assembling.

I use waterproof grease too, works perfect.