2002 Sherco 125 - Front Caliper Upgrade?

magicmat

Hi All,

I've got my 15 year old brother riding a 2002 Sherco 125.

Im very impressed with the little bike, goes any where i want it to (which isnt bad considering im bigger and heavier haha)

However the front brake is rubbish. Its a Single piston jobbie, with no vents in the disc.

Is there anyway to upgrade it? My mate with a Mont 315 just upgraded the front brake on his to a twin pot and its really changed the bike.

so im looking to do the same. But dont really know which calipers fit and what modifications need doing.

ANy help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Matt

Hi guys,thats great.

Does the brake line still fit etc?and what bikes have the 4 pot caliper??

Id like to buy one cheap of ebay, but not sure which bike i need to be robbing one from??

Cheers !

Many later bikes use them, but fact is the old 2 pot does work well if functioning properly. There was another recent post on this topic, and seems he had some odd aftermarket brake pads installed, and another person stated his went back to normal after a kit installed with new pucks and seals.

If your pads are not the stock Galfer(red) or they have endured oil from a leaky fork seal over time, they may not work well. Personally, I would start there, seat them in normally, then get them warm with a couple good high speed stops and puor water on the disk to steam them off, then see what you got.

Fact is I have a lightly used set of pads if you want them for the cost of post, PM me.

When they work, they work, and not much difference.

Edited by copemech

Thank you very much for the offer of posting a set, however the post of postage from texas to the uk may out weigh the cost of buying new.

Ill admit i did a google search and saw the thread about cooling the caliper.

I think ill check over the caliper,maybe take a layer off the pads and heat it up. See how i go.

Im guessing the sherco, Gas Gas and beta 4 pots fit, if i decide to do it?

They all should fit, none of the manufacturers get special calipers made due to the cost of low numbers

I fitted a later caliper to my 01 as well when I owned it, think I may still have the galfer 1 that I ran for a while as well

the 2000 sherco I had the non vented disc and the front caliper was a 2 piston type, it had horrible stopping, so I bled the brakes multiple times, changed pads, new brake line, rebuild master cylinder and clean disc with super super fine wet sand paper (2000 grit?) then blast hell out of it with brake cleaner. When I finally rebuilt the caliper (new seals/pucks) Front brake was great.

On a side note because the disc was non vented I cut an angled groove in the brake pads, using a dremel tool and 2 cutting discs installed to make it the right width and get a sharp edge on the pad. My reasoning was this groove would give someplace for water, dirt, gasses, and whatever someplace to go instead of between the pad and the disc. I have no proof whether it did what I thought or not. but it didn't hurt either.

All good ideas and i think i'll investigate the caliper and see whats what first.

Im not sure i'll get away with baking the brakes though, last time i tried to 'cook' a headlight so i could split it.. i got quite a telling off haha.

I think a plumbers torch should work just as well though :)

• 1 month later...

hi I used contact cleaner on the pads then stuck them in the oven. Followed by attacking the disk with a da sander. Its alot better but still won't stand on its nose.

Would anyone know if the 4pot hebo will fit?

Can you identify the pads? Are they the red Galfer? Anyway, you may now try to seat them in on the bike by doing a few(3-4) hard stops from 4-5 gear speeds, then splashing them off and steam cleaning(shock cooling) the disk with a bottle water at hand. Try this a couple times then let things dry. Do not over do it, the disk should get plenty hot in that period.

:blush:

I have the braking pads at the moment will the red galfers make that much of a difference?

Thanks for the advice ill give it a quench next time its fired up:-)

I have used the Braking pads in the past with the 4-pot caliper. It seems to me they did take a while to fully cure in and never quite as sharp as the Galfer pads when dry, yet seemed to work much better than the Galfer when wet. My impression.