Ty250 Engine In A Ty250 Twinshock Frame?

cobbrev3

Hi guys, I have been contemplating putting a ty mono engine into a twinshock frame. I know this has been done before, but wondered what was involved and any potential pit falls before i bite the bullet and have a go. I'm sure you helpful lot will be of assistance..

Only real potential pitfall is eligability. Check with the clubs you intend to ride with if the resulting bike will be eligable for their events. The mono motor is shorter and lighter and is a quantum leap forward over the trail bike derived motor in the twinshock. Which might go some way towards explaining the eligability issue.

I dont think I'd bother,if the TS motor is not enough for you there is plenty you can do to get more from them,a 270 or 320 upgrade with a lighter flywheel is the way most go.Then there are the electronic ignition kits with built in advance,Dellorto carbs - then you could go for a modded exhaust system.

Its not going to be many years before enough people get so fed up with modern pogo sticks that the air cooled mono class becomes as popular as twinshock is now.Then the Yam mono will regain its favour,probably rocket in price and be the one to have.Time marches on and air cooled monos were where alot of people started.

I cant say too much though,because I've nearly finished putting an xt225 motor in a TY175 frame.But that was for a different reason,I wanted to see what it would be like to have a four stroke alternative to a Honda which Yamaha never did....

I dont think I'd bother,if the TS motor is not enough for you there is plenty you can do to get more from them,a 270 or 320 upgrade with a lighter flywheel is the way most go.Then there are the electronic ignition kits with built in advance,Dellorto carbs - then you could go for a modded exhaust system.

Its not going to be many years before enough people get so fed up with modern pogo sticks that the air cooled mono class becomes as popular as twinshock is now.Then the Yam mono will regain its favour,probably rocket in price and be the one to have.Time marches on and air cooled monos were where alot of people started.

I cant say too much though,because I've nearly finished putting an xt225 motor in a TY175 frame.But that was for a different reason,I wanted to see what it would be like to have a four stroke alternative to a Honda which Yamaha never did....

Id like to see that!