315 Top Headset Bearing Doesn't Fit Easily - How To Proceed?

sharkbait

Having rebuilt the forks on my '97 315 now I've come to fit the new headset bearings I've found that the top one doesn't slide easily over the thread on the stem tube. It's the right bearing so before I go any further what's my plan of action so as to not damage the thread - heat the bearing, freeze the stem or should it just knock it on?

The parts book states both bearings are the same top and bottom All it says in the manual is pressing the bottom one on useing a tool ( looks a tube to me )but nothing on the fitting the top one so it must just slip in and ajusted by the nut under the top yoke Would not use any heat on the bearings

• 2 weeks later...

The head bearings are generic Honda used on a couple of hundred different models. The bearing is based on a a standard 25x47x15 metric tapered roller bearing (#32005), but the Monty stem OD is 26mm, so Honda/Montesa use a special inner.

Check the ID of the bearing it should be 26mm and should fit easily over the threads and then a light push fit on the upper bearing journal.

If the bearing ID is 25mm then you have the standard metric inner and not the Honda inner. Go to a Honda dealer and order part no 91015-425-832, which is the correct bearing set.

If you search for an aftermarket bearing the NACHI part number is 32005JS/26 (the "/26" indicates the non standard ID of 26mm). The outer is 32005J.

• Like 1

The head bearings are generic Honda used on a couple of hundred different models. The bearing is based on a a standard 25x47x15 metric tapered roller bearing (#32005), but the Monty stem OD is 26mm, so Honda/Montesa use a special inner.

Check the ID of the bearing it should be 26mm and should fit easily over the threads and then a light push fit on the upper bearing journal.

If the bearing ID is 25mm then you have the standard metric inner and not the Honda inner. Go to a Honda dealer and order part no 91015-425-832, which is the correct bearing set.

If you search for an aftermarket bearing the NACHI part number is 32005JS/26 (the "/26" indicates the non standard ID of 26mm). The outer is 32005J.

:agreed: Yup, from what I remember only Honda stocked the right bearing :wall: