Removing Wheel Bearings

atomant

What methods do you use to remove the wheel bearings?

I am interested as I was told the bearing puller is expensive so I made an expandable drift that I put through one of the bearings and then tap a tapered drift into the end which spreads it enough to locate on the inner race and with some some mild tapping, the bearing comes out ;)

I made it out of a small piece of 20mm Dia. mild steel and cost around

Edited by Webmonkey

Always warm the alloy hub with something like an electric heat gun not excessively hot but enough to expand the bearing housing and to release the bearing, if you remove and refit the bearings when the metal is cold a little bit of alloy from the bearing housing sticks to the bearing & is lost & pretty soon the bearing is a loose fit in the hub

If this is the case you can get bearing fit (a liquid in a bottle) but warm things up & you should never need it

same as above for mains, gearbox bearings etc

Ok, I machined mine but how you could do it is take a piece of 20mm Dia. mild steel bar, drill a 12mm hole in it then cut out the slots with a hacksaw. Take a piece of flat bar say 13mm thick and file the ends so they are below 12mm thick.

To use it, warm up the wheel hub (as TrialsRfun says above) put the drift through from the opposite side, place the wheel on the ground with the bottom of the drift on a hard floor. Tap the wedge in from the other side until it spreads it then lift up the wheel and tap the end of the drift and out pops the bearing.

Here is a link to a quick 3D animation of how it works

I can make one using a tapered grub screw arrangement so you can just tighten it with an allen key and it will do the same. Much more elegant but not easy for anyone without access to maching facilities to make ;)

post-2-1116276315.jpg

Edited by Webmonkey