Pro Clutch Removal Problem

mr neutron

Ahhh, I guess I forgot about the case & slave cylinder holding it on....... Makes sense, I reckon.

Realistically, I probably won't get this fixed before my operation on Monday. It'd be a miracle if any dealer within driving distance for me would have the parts. But for me, it will nice just finding out what the real problem is.....

It's 27 degrees outside in my barn where my bike is. The weather floks say it will wrm up somewhat today. I'll probably get out there around noon or so. I'll report back if Ihave any luck....

Jimmie

Wow, never had a torx bit round like cheese from a bolt, usually the other way around o.O. Maybe try and use a better quality torx bit that wont bend? Even my halfrauds pro ones are usually stronger than most bolts and don't round off/bend :S.

Goodluck with your problem, it's a pain when everything you try doesnt work :(

Ok. I have no idea what the bolt looks like, if it is recessed or proud, or how accessible it is............................. but if I have a head on something chew up and I can get to it, I will use a dremel to cut a slot in it so I can use a blade screwdriver - is this possible in this instance?

Ok. I have no idea what the bolt looks like, if it is recessed or proud, or how accessible it is............................. but if I have a head on something chew up and I can get to it, I will use a dremel to cut a slot in it so I can use a blade screwdriver - is this possible in this instance?

It's right in there in the middle of the clutch basket, would never get a dremel in there lol. Good suggestion for normal stuck bolts however :icon_salut:

Edited by cursed

It's right in there in the middle of the clutch basket, would never get a dremel in there lol. Good suggestion for normal stuck bolts however :icon_salut:

ah, right, ok! - in that case, could you 'chain drill' with a small bit to form a slot to get a blade screwdriver in there? or is there no space for that either??

Not just a problem for the clutch; seems like gas gas like to use alan screws everywhere - I had to fit a new sump bolt yesterday as the old one was mashed up.

Okay, Success!!! The bolt finally came out just as Laser1 had said. :thumbup: I did try my little hammer operated impact driver, and got nowhere with that. The handful of Torx bits I had in the correct size got pretty rounded, so I gave up and drilled it out. I'm certain the chips were all captured in the liberal amount of grease I put on the drill flutes. I swabbed everything left with many cotton swabs, stuck my small pencil magnet tool in there, and even used my Shop Vac for good measure. The 1/4 inch left hand drill went a short ways into the bolt head, then "caught itself" in the bolt material, and spun the bolt out just as pretty as you'd please. Nice!!! :hyper::beer:

After I got the clutch out, I found this on the back side of the kickstart idler gear:

GasGasIdlerGearandBolt_zps33ee922d.png

Shown beside it is the drilled out bolt, just for grins & giggles.

I'm going to assume that since this gear is pretty chipped up, and that my noise began immediately after I started the bike, that this is the problem, or part of the problem? I haven't yet figured out how to remove the kickstart shaft & it's related parts to see what sort of shape that's in. I ran out of time, and it's beginning to cool off outside again. I'll do some more searching & reading on that subject. Plus, I have this quote from member "jandyb", from post #77 in the "What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?" thread:

Hi

My bet is you engaged the kickstart while falling, and damaged one or more teeth on the idle gear. Remove the clutch basket and inspect the gears. Easy fix, but that gear is priced like gold :(

Ehh.. and dont forget to squeeze the cluth lever - and this is very important - before AND after the fix... :beer:

-Jan

Thanks Again, Fellas!

Jimmie

I'm going to assume that since this gear is pretty chipped up, and that my noise began immediately after I started the bike, that this is the problem, or part of the problem? I haven't yet figured out how to remove the kickstart shaft & it's related parts to see what sort of shape that's in. I ran out of time, and it's beginning to cool off outside again. I'll do some more searching & reading on that subject. Plus, I have this quote from member "jandyb", from post #77 in the "What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?" thread:

Didnt I tell You?? :)

Im not surprised. Got a whole bunch of those idle gears all looking more or less just like yours in my garage... Two in a month is my record,, ;(

Jan

• Like 1

Okay, Success!!! The bolt finally came out just as Laser1 had said. :thumbup: I did try my little hammer operated impact driver, and got nowhere with that. The handful of Torx bits I had in the correct size got pretty rounded, so I gave up and drilled it out. I'm certain the chips were all captured in the liberal amount of grease I put on the drill flutes. I swabbed everything left with many cotton swabs, stuck my small pencil magnet tool in there, and even used my Shop Vac for good measure. The 1/4 inch left hand drill went a short ways into the bolt head, then "caught itself" in the bolt material, and spun the bolt out just as pretty as you'd please. Nice!!! :hyper::beer:

After I got the clutch out, I found this on the back side of the kickstart idler gear:

Thanks Again, Fellas!

Jimmie

There must have been a lot of metal on the drain plug over the last few oil changes

Heh thats not that bad, When I removed mine, the idler gear had a few missing teeth, and all remaining teeth had only about 1/2 of the material left. The kickstart gear (bart simpson shaped one :D) had 1/2 it's teeth missing also lol.

I had only ridden the bike twice at this time so the previous owner obviously had no idea of how to start a bike :S

The kickstart is fairly easy to remove, you just need to wind it back out off the spring (be careful not to scratch the **** out of the crankcase - very easy to do...) and pull her out. Replacing the kickstart gear though, is a bitch. The circlips are mentally tight on there and is not fun if you take the kickstart gear off, not noting where sits on the shaft, and you have to play trial&error to see which spline to put it on the shaft....

My advice, take a picture of where the gear sits on the shaft before removing it to make life a hell of a lot easier lol.

• Like 1

Didnt I tell You?? :)

Im not surprised. Got a whole bunch of those idle gears all looking more or less just like yours in my garage... Two in a month is my record,, ;(

Jan

You did indeed call it correctly, Sir! :icon_salut: Thank You for that!

Cursed,

Thank You SO MUCH for that Very Good Advice & Help!

I actually do take digital pics when I go to take a bike apart, anymore. I simply don't trust my memory when the bike will be apart for more than a few days, or when small critical parts that have a specific order they need to be reassmbled ...... And it will likely be a few months before I get around to fixing this; I'm now "recuperating" from my knee surgery. :chairfall:

I really appreciate the advice on how to remove the kickstart & it's hardware! :thumbup:

Jimmie

Jimmie

Heal quickly, but not too quickly. You have probably already been told this but let it heal totally before gettng back on the bike and thrashing the hell out of it. Enough advice that you already know. Good ya found tbe problem and probably will get bored out of your mind while recovering and will get it back together before you are able to ride it, just to have something to do.

You did indeed call it correctly, Sir! :icon_salut: Thank You for that!

Cursed,

Thank You SO MUCH for that Very Good Advice & Help!

I actually do take digital pics when I go to take a bike apart, anymore. I simply don't trust my memory when the bike will be apart for more than a few days, or when small critical parts that have a specific order they need to be reassmbled ...... And it will likely be a few months before I get around to fixing this; I'm now "recuperating" from my knee surgery. :chairfall:

I really appreciate the advice on how to remove the kickstart & it's hardware! :thumbup:

Jimmie

Jimmie

Good luck with getting the knee properly healed!