Few Questions From Bedfordshire Lad.

jonny6

Hi guys my first post on the forum so I'd like to firstly say hello to everyone , I've recently decided to make the jump from motocross over to trials , having spent most of my teens riding cycle trials it's something I've always wanted to do but all my mates ride mx so that's where I found myself. I've not sourced a bike yet but I've got a budget of about 1700 to 2k . I can't help but keep looking at the montesa 315 hrs , something about them bikes I love , I've read a lot of thread on which second hand bike to buy and the conclusion of most is find one that's suits your riding style , but how do I make that call if I've never riden a trials bike before ? Would the month be a good novice bike ? Be good if there was some where to test ride them lol .

Secondly being from Bedfordshire , can anyone recommend a nice friendly local club where once I'm up and running can begin to compete at a novice level .

Also are there any local practise areas where trials riders tent to hang out , be nice to meet some local riders ..

Thanks for reading , jonny

Hi guys my first post on the forum so I'd like to firstly say hello to everyone , I've recently decided to make the jump from motocross over to trials , having spent most of my teens riding cycle trials it's something I've always wanted to do but all my mates ride mx so that's where I found myself. I've not sourced a bike yet but I've got a budget of about 1700 to 2k . I can't help but keep looking at the montesa 315 hrs , something about them bikes I love , I've read a lot of thread on which second hand bike to buy and the conclusion of most is find one that's suits your riding style , but how do I make that call if I've never riden a trials bike before ? Would the month be a good novice bike ? Be good if there was some where to test ride them lol .

Secondly being from Bedfordshire , can anyone recommend a nice friendly local club where once I'm up and running can begin to compete at a novice level .

Also are there any local practise areas where trials riders tent to hang out , be nice to meet some local riders ..

Thanks for reading , jonny

\

The Mont 315 makes a great bike in general for apt starters. Good build and reliable with decent smooth power and suspension.

Buy upon condition, a few scratches won'h hurt, you get what you pay for here in that market, the newer the better most likely! :beer:

Thanks for the reply chap ,it's a hard call to make with such a limited experience , I know I'm generally more suited to a honda in the mx world but this is all new . Any idea when they stopped making the 315 hex ?

Jonny

I am a little way away in Cambridgeshire and ride at an excellent club... Cambridge Matchless (see their website) http://www.cambridgematchless.co.uk/

Depending on where you are in Bedfordshire you have a number of options. Look at the ACU website under South Midland Centre (start here) http://www.acu.org.uk/Centres-Clubs/

You will find a list of Clubs, why dont you pick 2 or 3 and go along for a look and a chat?

As a Novice starting from enduro 2 years ago, i found the best way to start is just to get out there. My club does 3 routes and starting with 2 or 3 "Easy route" trials got me confident and prepared to step up to Novice. I met a number of people who offered me good advice and help.

Its true that its best to buy the bike that suits you but in all honesty when i first started i bought a good Novice bike from the bigger 3 (Gas Gas, Beta, Sherco) and learned to ride on it. Two years on i realise that i would have preferred a Beta, but the gas gas 250 i have is still better than i am and got me a long way.

Your budget should get you a 2007-2009 bike of decent condition. I advise buying on condition then year in that order, parts are expensive (nothing compared to maintaining a MX or enduro bike mind) and poorly maintained bikes just burn money if you want something "right".

Montesa's are lovely (quality) bikes but the 315 is slightly old now (stopped building them in 04?), however a decent one is well within budget and will take you way beyond Novice level.

Dom

Edited by dombush

Jonny

I am a little way away in Cambridgeshire and ride at an excellent club... Cambridge Matchless (see their website) http://www.cambridgematchless.co.uk/

Depending on where you are in Bedfordshire you have a number of options. Look at the ACU website under South Midland Centre (start here) http://www.acu.org.uk/Centres-Clubs/

You will find a list of Clubs, why dont you pick 2 or 3 and go along for a look and a chat?

As a Novice starting from enduro 2 years ago, i found the best way to start is just to get out there. My club does 3 routes and starting with 2 or 3 "Easy route" trials got me confident and prepared to step up to Novice. I met a number of people who offered me good advice and help.

Its true that its best to buy the bike that suits you but in all honesty when i first started i bought a good Novice bike from the bigger 3 (Gas Gas, Beta, Sherco) and learned to ride on it. Two years on i realise that i would have preferred a Beta, but the gas gas 250 i have is still better than i am and got me a long way.

Your budget should get you a 2007-2009 bike of decent condition. I advise buying on condition then year in that order, parts are expensive (nothing compared to maintaining a MX or enduro bike mind) and poorly maintained bikes just burn money if you want something "right".

Montesa's are lovely (quality) bikes but the 315 is slightly old now (stopped building them in 04?), however a decent one is well within budget and will take you way beyond Novice level.

Dom

Dom thanks for taking your time to reply , appreciate that , lot of very useful info there . Combs not to far from me and deffo worth a look . I'm not a huge fan of how the betas look . Bit plasticy , cheap looking . Maybe me being picky . So did montesa switch to 4t in 2005 ? My other weapon of choice would be a sherco . Lovely looking bike .

Jonny

Yes Montesa (Honda) went 4-stroke after the 315R. Bear in mind that when it comes to bike choice everything is opinion (including mine), and there is a lot of brand loyalty around.

I've got a Gas Gas 250 pro (06) and my son has a Sherco 125 (07). Being an engineer i tend to be steered by function / quality rather than looks which as my wife reminds me... "your so boring!"

I like the Beta for its very smooth tractable engine and general build quality. The Sherco is certainly a pretty bike, steers better than my gas gas but doesnt do it for me on the long term quality stakes (I hear this is better now).

Never been a 4-stroke man, so wont even comment on the 4RT, Sherco, Beta 300 etc. etc. Suffice to say though in quality terms a Honda will always be a Honda.

Cambridge Matchless have a trial on this weekend (snow allowing) which i will be at. Check the website for details. Lots of people will talk to you and perhaps let you have a quick trundle.

Dom

IMHO any modern~ish bike (1995 onwards) is OK (the newer they are the lighter they get) from any manufacture - they all have their pros and cons but are roughly the same (just like saying which 450 mx bike is best, any from the big 5 are OK)

Montesa went fourstroke with the 4rt in 2005, stopped making the 315. other have made four stroke trials bikes, not really caught on like in mx or even enduro

plenty of club and events about, most trials have a novice route but look out for ones with beginners (or something like that) routes

Hello jonny, there are practice grounds in Milton keynes (Milton Buzzards club) and another at Nash Mills (Berkotrials club) in Hemel Hempstead, they are both good for meeting people, and they both have trials meetings at their own venues and on other grounds in their areas.

Hi jonny6

My advce would be to buy the best bike you can afford, a 200cc or 250 or even a 125 if you are not too big/heavy. Be careful if you are looking at machines nearer 300cc as they can be very sharp and possibly too responsive to start out on - although can be tamed down if needed with slow action throttle, retard timing etc.

Check the obvious out when viewing; rear suspension linkage for play can cost £100+ on bearings to sort, piston/cylinder ratles £150-200, fork seals/headstock play, chain & sprockets and rear tyre edge to knobbles etc

Join a local club http://www.nenevalleytrials.co.uk/ for about £10 and they will give you a code which will be needed by the ACU for membership. Their trials are at Cranford, Addington and Kettering all just off the A14 and even nearer to Bedfordshire - Irthlingborough just up the A6. £12 to enter an event.

Start on the easy route and see how you get on. You can move up to middle route etc when you are ready. Ask at the first event regarding the section marking out etc and someone will help you as it can be a little confusing at first with some clubs using different colour markers for the same category routes.

Most trials start at 10:30 and you would normally be done by 2:30, get there early and warm up before hand on some spare area of the venue.

I've been riding for three years and enjoy every minute of it - even falling off. When the results email appears in the inbox Sunday night and I look at my result and think - was I really that bad...the best fun £12 can buy!

Good luck

Bishy

Jonny

Yes Montesa (Honda) went 4-stroke after the 315R. Bear in mind that when it comes to bike choice everything is opinion (including mine), and there is a lot of brand loyalty around.

I've got a Gas Gas 250 pro (06) and my son has a Sherco 125 (07). Being an engineer i tend to be steered by function / quality rather than looks which as my wife reminds me... "your so boring!"

I like the Beta for its very smooth tractable engine and general build quality. The Sherco is certainly a pretty bike, steers better than my gas gas but doesnt do it for me on the long term quality stakes (I hear this is better now).

Never been a 4-stroke man, so wont even comment on the 4RT, Sherco, Beta 300 etc. etc. Suffice to say though in quality terms a Honda will always be a Honda.

Cambridge Matchless have a trial on this weekend (snow allowing) which i will be at. Check the website for details. Lots of people will talk to you and perhaps let you have a quick trundle.

Dom

I might attend Dom , I'll come and say hello

Dom thanks for taking your time to reply , appreciate that , lot of very useful info there . Combs not to far from me and deffo worth a look . I'm not a huge fan of how the betas look . Bit plasticy , cheap looking . Maybe me being picky . So did montesa switch to 4t in 2005 ? My other weapon of choice would be a sherco . Lovely looking bike .

It's obviously personal opinion and taste but you could make a poor choice by buying a bike based in how you think it looks.

A 315R is a good bike bike and the quality is very good based on HRC input / quality control etc. the Montesa will be the heaviest and probably the most expensive for parts / repairs etc.

Like most bikes that age (newest 315R you'll get will be edging towards 9 years old) they'll be a lot of well used dogs out there.

Not looked recently but I would imagine your budget would get you a very nice 2007 (maybe 2008) Gas Gas / Beta / Sherco or Scorpa (Yamaha engined) all of which make a great bike to start on.

Best bet as is ALWAYS the case with the 'what bike is best' or 'what bike shall I get' questions is to get yourself to a trial / training ground speak to people and maybe see if you can ride a bike or 2.

Only then will you be able to make a good judgement.

All the bikes have known niggles/faults etc but a well maintained bike will serve you well whatever you get.

Good luck

It's obviously personal opinion and taste but you could make a poor choice by buying a bike based in how you think it looks.

A 315R is a good bike bike and the quality is very good based on HRC input / quality control etc. the Montesa will be the heaviest and probably the most expensive for parts / repairs etc.

Like most bikes that age (newest 315R you'll get will be edging towards 9 years old) they'll be a lot of well used dogs out there.

Not looked recently but I would imagine your budget would get you a very nice 2007 (maybe 2008) Gas Gas / Beta / Sherco or Scorpa (Yamaha engined) all of which make a great bike to start on.

Best bet as is ALWAYS the case with the 'what bike is best' or 'what bike shall I get' questions is to get yourself to a trial / training ground speak to people and maybe see if you can ride a bike or 2.

Only then will you be able to make a good judgement.

All the bikes have known niggles/faults etc but a well maintained bike will serve you well whatever you get.

Good luck

The bikes appearance is all I have to go on at the moment , judgement of quality etc , even if someone was kind enough to let me have a spin on there bike I doubt if be able to judge what feels right or not in such s short time . However I do appreciate exactly what your saying . I guess it's the same as mx , plenty of old donkeys out there just have to find the nice ones , ill be at the classic matchless trial on Sunday , if anyone's going and doesn't mind me having a look at there bike I'd really sppreciate it . Cheers guys