Sherco 2012 Whining Sound

master62

Just bought a used 2012 Sherco 290. I had a used 2011 Sherco 290. After I release the clutch the overall engine sound is different. Like a whining sound.

The dealer I bought it from says it's ok but has anybody notice the different sound of the engine. Appreciate your input.

Hi

an educated guess is thus:-

Firstly

when the clutch is released, this transmits drive from the crank, via the clutch outer basket onto the inner hub and onto to the gearbox input shaft. Even if the bike is in neutral this input shaft is turning quite fast.

Secondly

Whining is more often than not bearing related. There are 2 such bearings either side of that shaft.

Thirdly

If not bearings, neutral allows a number of the gears to idle (rotate freely) on the shaft. There could be a problem here (but i doubt it)

It would be interesting to see if the noise continues in the following circumstances:-

1. Engine running, in gear with the clutch in.
  2. Engine running, in Neutral with the clutch in / out (youve already done this)
  3. Bike on a stand, engine running, (very carefully) take it through the gears and see if the noise is in all gears.

Dom

I would think most likely this would be due to the given pair of primary gears. It seems to me thay vary a bit from bike to bike and as nong as your dealer stated it seemed within normal range I would not be overly concerned. If things were to change or worsten you may want to re-evaluate at that time.