Very Early Cota 247... Almost Complete, Well Almost!

jerry t

If only it were a period mod.

Pretty sure that it's just a later top yoke banged on when the proper one failed. :(

Don't see how a 'proper' one could fail.

They are skillfully fabricated from mild steel, a Sherman tank like construction and weigh nearly as much.

No fatigue problems with MS and far stronger than any aluminium alloy yoke, so how does one fail , Beats me.

And, I agree with Woody it's not a later Montesa yoke.

Save yourself a headache and keep it.

It's strange we buy a new or nearly new bike and then 'have' to spend on the aftermarket

or blingy bits just to make the machine that little bit better (or prove the healthy bank balance),

and then look down on those unfortunates with standard machines.

There then comes a time when everything has to be returned to 'standard' --- Madness.

Yours again controversally

Sparks

Edited by sparks2
  • Like 1

Mr Sparks, I am in complete agreement, being very old and having gone through the cenario of buying a SHM top yoke for my bultaco (at very great expense) in the early 1970's. It was the 'way to go' tiller action, dirty great big piece of cast aluminium, and guess what 1st time out with my super trick top yoke....it broke. Getting back to the Cota top yoke, if I was judging a concours, I would mark down considerably a none era conversion, in this case the later top yoke. The other conversion of the era, was to fit the later front wheel spindle, which is approx 1 inch shorter, required the bottom sliders to have approx half inch machined of the bottom fork sliders, to allow the spindle to fit flush with the outside of the forks.

My only reason for replying to this thread, there maybe somebody considering buying (at great expense) a 247 Big Hub Montesa, which they may consider to be 'as came out of the showroom' only for some anorak, such as me, to say....very nice bike, but unfortunately...not right, been changed etc etc. Certain items on any bike, make it a 'dating feature' and in this case big hub montesa's never had aluminium top yokes

We don't do concours.

Don't bother looking for Sherman tank bits.

It's period - has to be - no one has valued these bikes for donkeys years

(I know I have one). Keep it and enjoy looking down at ordinary mortals.

• Like 1

We live in strange times, if for instance, you had a Francis Barnet, the only 2 items that could be original could be the gearbox case and the mainshaft, everything else could be new, and maybe £6,000 worse of. Simarly tigercubs and bantams, but at least, the unit construction crankcase and the mainshaft would be original and maybe £7,000 worse of. I can't really see what's wrong with wanting to make a bike, as it left the factory. Seems to me there's plenty of screwed up people out there, willing to spend thousands on competitive non descript trials bikes. I forsee these type of non decript bikes becoming quite common and valued at a lot less than they are now, wereas an original old bike could have more intrinsic value and still be able to compete, but of course, not good enough to win, but then again, i'm not personally young enough to be able to win. Maybe i'm just putting the knockers on an industry which has been created to cater for those individuals that want to imagine, that they will set the standard and win, with thier non-descript expensive 'not really real' trials machinery.

• Like 1

We live in strange times, if for instance, you had a Francis Barnet, the only 2 items that could be original could be the gearbox case and the mainshaft, everything else could be new, and maybe £6,000 worse of. Simarly tigercubs and bantams, but at least, the unit construction crankcase and the mainshaft would be original and maybe £7,000 worse of. I can't really see what's wrong with wanting to make a bike, as it left the factory. Seems to me there's plenty of screwed up people out there, willing to spend thousands on competitive non descript trials bikes. I forsee these type of non decript bikes becoming quite common and valued at a lot less than they are now, wereas an original old bike could have more intrinsic value and still be able to compete, but of course, not good enough to win, but then again, i'm not personally young enough to be able to win. Maybe i'm just putting the knockers on an industry which has been created to cater for those individuals that want to imagine, that they will set the standard and win, with thier non-descript expensive 'not really real' trials machinery.

Jeeves, I think I know where your coming from.

But, my philosophy would be -- IF what you have is usable and looks the part and is even period then use it.

What would happen if Jerry could not find, as is likely, a steel top yoke?

Would years of anguish, shame and sleepless nights follow?

Yours

sparks

Edited by sparks2

In October 1968 I was the proud owner of one of the first BIG HUB Cota 247's.

It came with fabricated steel yokes painted in hammer silver and no chain guard or tensioner.

Ran it for two years and regretted selling it for 43 years.

I now have a Mk11 (1969/70) with original steel yokes, but small hubs and the original rims and I love it.

It gets better every week, shame it's rider does not!!!!

Oh well Cotswold Cup Sunday.

Regards

Martin