Putoline Light Gear Oil

kev69

Hi all quick doubt question bought some putoline lite gear oil today to change my oil the bike is new to me so thought better safe than sorry drained oil opened new oil and it was clear yellowish oil. Now for some reason I was expecting it to be red ? Now I am doubting myself if I have the right oil ? Can someone put my mind at rest please !

The red stuff is ATF, a cheap alternative to light gear oil, it's good for clutches but not so good for bearings, if the putoline is recommended for your bike use it, it will be better for your gearbox.

I use ipone 2stroke gear oil which is yellowish in colour, never had a problem.

Hope that helps.

I use the putoline in mine. previous owner had used atf and the clutch was terrible; much better now. spoke to castrol tech people yesterday - as I use castrol for everything else on my bikes - and they said that power 1 10w 30 (for 4 strokes) would be a good alternative. gonna give that a go next.

Went out today having changed oil in it yesterday not sure wot oil previous owner used but it was red. Wow wot a difference the putoline lite gear oil made to the clutch could not believe it. Cheers again for replies

• Like 1

ATF of any flavor, in my experience at least, makes the clutch grab more. This is great for those that hop, and do big SPLATTERS and Stuff. Change the oil with less than 12 hours of engine running time, is a damn good rule as well. it lubes the gears, as well as the grits from the clutch fiber plates, and on the new models (pro engines) it lubes the crank main bearings, so keep it changed and clean.