Woodruff Key !

haggerthegreat

just to let others know the problem i have had it might help others with same systoms

i done a rebuild off the bottom end off a 2002 280 pro i got cheap as it was sieze with corosion round the fly wheel while sitting damp over a few years,i build her back up and when tried to start she give a couple of revs and stopped but would not start but back fire which was saying to me that timing was not right,checked wiring plug etc but could not find a problem as i was getting a spark and carb seem to be good so decided to take fly wheel off and found that woodruff key had sheared off in 2 halfs :wall:

i've lost count of the amount of woodruff keys i have replaced over the years.

last one was on a Honda CRF450 enduro bike last year, it had already been to two shops, £1700 spent trying to get running, Half an hour later it was running lovely, bloke came to pick it up, i wasnt there, didn't pay a penny, i hope it threw a rod and ripped his gonads off in the process.

If you are assembling a flywheel on a taper shaft the woodruff key only locates the flywheel on the shaft. The taper does all the gripping. If you are shearing woodruff keys constantly lap the flywheel to the shaft and then assemble clean and dry - no oil or grease - and you can leave the woodruff key out (making sure the required torque setting is attained!)

I run my Bultaco 250 Historic kart at 10,000 rpm with a 1kg flywheel with no woodruff key.

Villiers - no woodruff key

Powerdynamo electronic ignition (a very good German option) - no woodruff key