1992 Gt25 Specs

coop650

Hello, I am new to trials but have been riding motorcycles for 33 years. A friend recently loaned me a 1992 Gas Gas GT25 and if I like it after a couple months he will sell it to me. I hope to pick it up this weekend. I found many good links on youtube for videos and how-to's and even parts manuals by searching on google. But I haven't found any specs such as the weight of the bike, or the fuel tank capacity, things like this. Does anybody know where I can find these specs or maybe you know them off hand?

Talking with Jim Snell here in the US I found the OEM mudguards at a couple dealers. I figured I will wait until I break these. They are old Yamaha fenders my friend rigged up.

Thanks for your time and any help!

1992GasGasTrials_zpsfea3527f.jpg

I didn't get any responses, tough crowd haha.

But talking again with Jim Snell he said he "thinks" the bike weighs around 90kg and has a 2.8L tank.He said Gas Gas didn't digitize manuals and specs about bikes of this era. He shared some really great info I'll happily share with anyone interested, but it doesn't seem this older bike has much interest here.

Here is a good video about 92/93 bikes for anyone bored:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4ZWU4AhZOI

Coop,

Yeah, the interest would be low. Sort of, the bike is 20 years old. I happen to have a 93, that I ended up with because it was taking up space and the guy didn't want it. the 1st gaser I ever bought actually was in 2001, and it was a 1999 321, more or less same bike and engine, with newer better brakes and bigger engine, some other designs & tweaks, you know.

Everything "interest wise" has no definition. I dont know your background, but I can tell you I have ridden trials since the 70's. I rode 1 motocross in my life, at age 20, in 86. if you are into motocross competition, by any chance... then you know nobody is wishing I had an OLD 92 Yamaha yz250 they could buy to start competing with buddies that have the new bikes they sell. BUT IT IS Not really any lack of ability of that 92, just that it is OLD. I think capabilities of the bike could easily be tweaked, and we all know Milsaps or Dungy would kick any of us's ass on even that older bike with their skill/fitness. I believe the exact same that Bou or Raga or the type would kick most anyone's ass riding that 92, even with some on the new stuff. I mean the 92&93 was when Jordi Tares won everything I think.

Thinking out loud, and logically.... I think I would want it (the old MX bike) that I could buy really reasonable for age, and give MX riding and racing a try and see if I wanted to keep on competing in MX or just put around local tracks or off road areas. It should be a lot cheaper to purchase compared to the nearly $7000 (USD) of the newest bikes available. But I think I am a "cheaper and on a budget" thinker, and I also would not necessarily expect that 2 exact same skill guys, one on the latest and greatest MX out there, vs the 92, would have same results all the time, there are going to be reasons that the 450's are what they ride and win on week to week, that trickles down even to amature riders of any given sport.

So this JT25, bike is the same for trials guys, many of us might have had one, but Like me, I have an 2011 Raga, no way I am looking back, know what I mean there? But I wouldnt be afraid to own it as such, even just to let "buddies" or new friends that might finally show an interest, give it a ride, instead of risking them on my Raga.

The upside down forks are the only big deal, eventually the seals will leak, and being upside down they will leak even sitting in the garage, until empty of course. Regular forks when seals leak, only leak when you ride them, unless for some reason you store the bike upside down, LOL

Edited by sting32

I was just hoping someone had one back in the day and could share some info is what I meant by interest, sorry about that :guinness: .

I have always been interested in trials and figured I could start with this one playing around in the yard, etc., and hopefully next year move up to something much more modern.

That is exactly what I would do, just FYI. I dont know what all questions you got, lay them out, if I can recall or point you somewhere, I sure will. Like I said, I have either a 92 or 93 just like that one you show the picture of in 2nd post. I also owned a 95 for a while. Dad and I try to keep a bike to lure in new riders, then all of a sudden "we've got too many bikes" the herd gets thinned, then here we go again happens.

I really want to find a 97-98 250 just like this one, my current newby is going to buy from me (found it for him, actually). my Raga 300 is probably scary for any new rider.

Thanks. I am sure I will have plenty of questions once I get it back here and start going over it. I'm actually not picking it up until Sunday. I used to work as a motorcycle mechanic so I am not worried about that aspect, but I know riding a trials is a different world than the mx and trail bikes I am used. I've been watching as many basic riding videos as I can, even tight turning looks hard haha.

Edited by coop650

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I just got wind of this thread. I've had a 1992 Gasgas GT-25 (Contact 250) for three years now. You'rs is an extremely clean bike, but the front and rear fenders are not OEM, not that that matters, just so you know (you probably already do). If you run into trouble finding parts I recommend dealing with http://trials.duess....tings/start.cgi these people. They're based in Vancouver, BC Canada, and so far have had everything I've been looking for 'IN STOCK" which was a considerable shock and immense comfort to me.

When I got my bike I gave it a good 'once-over' and got it working properly. Now that it's winter I've stripped it to the frame and am going over the whole works meticulously to get it back to original condition, not for the sake of appearance, but more for perfect rideability/dependability.

The only issues I've run into with this bike is the main nut that holds the clutch on the shaft let go, and trying to find that nut was a thorough nightmare. It's some bizarre thread that I could only find from a vespa shop in Italy. Also, the transmission gear oil needs to be carefully selected. If it's at all too thick the clutch plates will stick and you won't stop when you want to, which is embarrasing when riding behind someone who takes a minute to look around and you run into them. I run ATF now, the manual states 5W30, but I couldn't make it work.

If you haven't found it already, http://www.trialspar...a.com/tech.html this page has all the technical info you should require.

Cheers

JB

Photo2044

Edited by jbignell

Thanks for the response. Yeah I mentioned they were Yamaha fenders. I have since replaced the rear with the proper fender. I am having some issues with a front fender. the braces on mine are broken and you can't buy them anymore. So my only option is to spend $185 on a fender/brace combo. What kind are on yours? They look great.

I am having those clutch issues. I changed the oil with 5w30 but think I will try ATF. Even after a 15-20 minute ride it won't disengage.

How it looks right now (well it has new grips and a new front tire since this picture):

2013-03-15_13-24-19_178_zpsbfef303e.jpg

Edited by coop650

Hey Coop, the front fender on my bike, to my knowledge, is stock. That picture is rather poor, I took it shortly after I purchased it and have since severely cleaned and painted it to make it look as close to new as possible. I've got a video

if your interested (I'm definitely not a Toni Bou, but I enjoy it all the same)

That exhaust is an FMF motocross unit. I had access to a Tig welder so could make it work properly. It seems similar in decibels to modern bikes, so I guess it works good.

The neat thing about these bikes is that the geometry is very similar to that of brand new trials bikes. When side by side they're virtually identical. Obviously the gas tank sticks up and the sub-frame/rear fender are quite different, but the front fork angle, frame, swing-arm are all very similar to modern bikes, but with the huge advantage of having more the double the fuel capacity!

Good luck,

Jesse

The white fork braces on my pictures are OEM but the fender isn't. So unless yours are the newer red style I'm told is available as a fender/brace unit for $186, it isn't stock. I really like yours.

That FMF is nice. Wish I could tig weld haha.

Cool video, thanks for posting that!