New Owner Beta Techno 250

jon0881

Hi,

I just thought I would introduce myself. I've just purchased a 96 beta techno 250 to start out in trials. I have a ktm exc 200 too but fancy some fun on a trials. The bike seems ok. It sounds fine and seems fairly well cared for. The old owner run 75:1 in I think he said and I've already seen here people using ATF for the gearbox so I think ill do that. Unfortunately the fuel was left on for the journey home so I bet it's going to be a bitch to start again. The manual states a champion n7ycc but its got an ngk in it. I want to carry a spare so what's best?

Only other thing is the temperature sensor is disconnected and the fan wired up permanently. Might leave it as is.

Best wishes

Jon

I managed to run the bike up and down the road last night. Once the engine warmed up the clutch started to work, before that it just stalled the bike.

Anyway, I'm going to drop the oil and put in ATF but what's more worrying is that the water tank is empty. I didn't even che k it before buying! Doh! On looking what type of coolant I should put in it I have found this casing problem. I had hoped to take the bike out for a little test this weekend but I might have just opened a can of worms.

Jon

Ok I took it out for a 30 min blast today. I have to say even beginner trials is fun on basic woods stuff. All the gears work fine but I've noticed two problems

1. The expansion tank for the coolant is leaking all over the engine. I've removed it and I think it's coming from the cap. The threads on the cap are knackered and were covered in ptfe when I got it. The cap looks ok so is it worth replacing or just trying to ptfe it up again?

2. The fan is wired up all the time but its not starting now without a little push. Is there a cheap replacement or should I just keep starting it and watching it?

Cheers

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't know. I'm a pure noob and I've only been in the woods on it once. It was proper fun and a good climber but it does feel heavy to me. I bet most of it technique. I would like someone capable to have a go to show me how much I am the limiting factor

stop and fix the fan issue.

dont use ATF...maxima MTL 85 works wonderful with Beta clutches, you may have to take the clutch down and clean it, debur it as well if ATF has been used for a long time...maybe think of new clutch plates.

ATF swells the discs and ruins the clutch. and doesnt lube for beans.

the fan issue is likely the condenser, its located inside the frame, behind the steering head, remove the small plastic plugs on the side of the frame, ahead of the tank..youll be hating life getting it out, replacement part will cost about 50.00

if you email me direct at molinenorski@msn.com ill email you a download of the Techno shop manual.

before you ride the bike like a bandit...stop and grease the wheel bearings and shock linkage..both are weak points of the bike.

forks should be drained, flushed, and refilled as well with good 5wt fork oil, i use Bel Ray..it doesnt foam up and break down like others...

likely your water pump seal is bad, replace it and the bearings..total cost is less then 10.00 , flush out the coolent and use good motorcycle grade coolent..waterweter is a good ad, and keeps a trials bike nice and cool.

Edited by chuckindenver
  • Like 1

Replace any bodged or worn bits as you find them. it is false economy if you do not.

If it feels heavy I'd say the suspension is all very tired with little or no preload left in springs front or rear. You might be able to knock up spacers as a quick fix but newer springs will be wise in the long run and a general overhaul/service.

Enjoy the ride!

I could make out the coolant filling marks and defiantly bled and filled it correctly. It just p****d out when hot. When I removed the tank and filled it with water it was leaking out the cap. It's been replaced now anyway

without a thermostat, youll always have puking issues. as the heat and fan are not regulated.

with the fan running all the time. eventually it will eat the fan motor, and put a larger draw on the stator, and likely burn up your stator...

anyone whos rode a beta knows, when the fan kicks on,.you can feel a slight draw on the bike.

as iv said..

fix it right, and it will give you lots of fun and enjoyment, half ars it, and youll be a unhappy camper

• Like 2