What A S*** Day For My 280 Pro!

dazzabb

2008 TXT Pro.

Started off well enough then difficult to change gear, like 1-2 seconds delay when upchanging, really bad between 2-3, then had a crash a lost the gear lever.

No drama, not far from the car and stuck in 2nd gear, a few sections later and lost all low-end power! WTF. Limped back to the car.

Dropped the oil and shards of steel on the drain plug. Bugger. Oil has been changed often, I used ATF III.

Had a read of many posts regarding the gear change issue so that seems pretty clear cut, cases will need splitting and gearbox checking. Kickstart also needs checking.

But what about sudden loss of all low end power? I did notice a small amount of oil leaking from the cylinder base gasket, but not sure if that is coincidental or not, could a broken base gasket kill all the low -end power? There really is only a small amount of leakage. Reeds?

I'm fairly new to trials and even newer to working on these bikes so any tips would be apprecaited.

Where do you guy's buy Gas Gas gearbox parts from, I usually but stuff from TT but they dont list what i suspect I will need.

Thanks

Daz

grim news..

first off get it home get it properly cleaned up.

if the drain had swarf etc in it. get it in bits. if you do this yourself take lots of clear photos on your phone as you go..

if you dont feel comfortable taking a box/engine to bits get it to someone who is. the bits/ labour will cost you a few quid though so undersatnd what the hourly labour charge is. no one can tell you what bits it needs until its in bits.

as its a recent bike Gas Gas or your nearest dealer are your best source.. websites for stuff like this are largely useless and out of date... speak togasgas or your dealer..

then a couple of learnings..

if somethings not working properly dont use it repair it..

if you break something off dont use it until its repaired

both a bit of a bind but much easier and cheaper to solve small problems than big ones..

good luck

FWIW,

Taking the engine out of the frame, you need a flywheel puller!. Why you might ask... Well, you dont want to have to yank all the wiring loose, especially under the tank. so you take off flywheel, remove 3 or 4 bolts holding the stator (windings on a plate) on. carefully tie/tape out of your way. then same thing is done on the clutch side. just take cover off, after draining of course, watch for all the parts that push on clutch, and tie it out of your way.

When you got a bunch of crap (broken teeth or what not) there is a weird bearing on the out-shaft that the front chain sproket is mounted on, that can almost lock up the bike to moving, although it runs fine with neutral or clutch in. That could be one of many issues you are faced with... Remember that the Gear Oil lubes the main crank bearings, I suppose, if you sucked a bunch of crap into those bearings, it could cause trouble with running as well?

• 2 months later...

Well finally sorted it out.

Had to replace the 2 kickstart gears (which were totally destroyed) and 2nd gear wheel.

Gasgas UK were excellent, unfortunately their prices are not. 85 quid for what must be the worlds ****tiest gasket set, an absolute joke of a price, but I needed it so that was that.

But just glad to be riding again after a few months off..............

We believe (and hope!) so, there was a fair few metal chunks around so we did a full stripdown but could not find any other problem.

Runs as well as ever now so hoping that was the only fix required.