Which Rim?

guy53

I asked this question a few years ago with no answer, but maybe this time I will get lucky. I bought a few basket case TY ( A, B anc C model ) with different rear rim width: 185 and 215. I ride the 215 rim with a Michelin X11 and bought an IRC tr11 as a spare, I would like your input on this : should I mount the IRC on the narrower rim or change the Michelin to the narrow rim, or is it a bad idea to mount a tire on the 185 rim?

I hope someone who tried this can give me is input

Guy

I have done the same putting the two rims together, as I wrote, I never tried a 185 rim. If you mounted the tire yourself, was the 185 harder to set the tire in, as I mentionned my plan is to mount one rim with a Michelin and the other with an IRC both 400/18 tube type to go on my modified 250 TS and another IRC on my Mono.

Guy

I have done the same putting the two rims together, as I wrote, I never tried a 185 rim. If you mounted the tire yourself, was the 185 harder to set the tire in, as I mentionned my plan is to mount one rim with a Michelin and the other with an IRC both 400/18 tube type to go on my modified 250 TS and another IRC on my Mono.

Guy

The IRC I think is a better tyre anyway, so you cant make a direct comparison, and mono should be a lot better than T/S so dont know what conclusions could be drawn.

Just as easy to mount on either rim size.

Edited by b40rt

Thank's B40rt, I sure like to ride the Mono, but don't intend to use it in competition, there is no Aircooled Mono class in Quebec, and I not up to ride with the Modern guys.

After I finish the reassembly of the TS, and mount the IRC on the 215 rim and the on the 185, I will '' attack '' the Mono, I want to lower the pegs, rebuld the motor ( main bearing, sea,l new rod, rings ) and beleave it or not if needed a new 3rd o/s ''genuine'' Yamaha piston and rings set. I'm happy to know that both tire and rims and tires are '' mixable '' , the word around here was that I would not be able to set any of them on the 185 rim.

Guy