2T Size Dilemma

brenin

Hi All,

im v new to trials with Beta 2T 250. So far its only been riden in circles in the yard. However this activity so captivated my 15 yr old daughter, that she also had a go, and after previously only riding a mini moto, was rather competent. So now im being badgered for a bike for her.

I have read in the 'ladies forum' abou the fun being had on 80's, but they seem thin on the ground. From my rudimentary viewings of trials 80's they seem to have a tuned pipe exhaust system, ie a divergent-convergent cone, much like a racing MX bike or a Honda RS125 i raced previously. This leads me to believe that they wil be peaky in power deliery, not something i think my daughter will enjoy....

I know if you restrict airflow, the craziest peaky motor can be tamed, and also that a flywheel weight can also help.

Would a 125 trials with a restricted carb opening and flywheel weight be 'softer' than a rabid 80? Is there a physical size difference between an 80 and a 125?

Does anyone have any experience of small juniors on a variety of different bikes?

many thanks

Ian

Beta 80 (most popular) has a KTM MX engine, however suprisingly isnt that peaky considering. Obviously its not the torquiest engine in the world but OK. Size of a Big Wheel is nigh on the same as a 125 (very slightly smaller but you wouldnt notice

Problem is supply and demand - not much supply + lots of demand = high prices !

My advice is 125 - there are no bad bikes out there (despite what some might say) - buy on condition not year and you should do OK

Like I said - No bad bikes but my preference (and only mine !) is the Scorpa 125 4T. Reasonable prices now, you will lose little or no money and a great bike to learn on. After that I would plum for a Beta, late Rev 3 (pre 08) were good bikes.

But........many will advise different !......like I said, buy on condition not year

cheers

John

We have had two beta 80's and thay were really good. As your daughter is 15 a good 125 will be fine and she will be able to ride it on the bottom end of the rev range Rather than having to use the top end on the 80. I can only comment on the beta as that all we have had but the rev 125 and the evo 125 are nice and soft until you get the revs up so would be fine for your daughter as see has some bike skills already.

As I said above we love the beta bikes but I am sure any of the brands would be good, the sherco may be a handful!

Edited by jfc

In our experience, the trials engines, even though they are connected to a header pipe similar to the MX bikes (check out the early Beta TR33 and TR34 headers) they do not have the power band usually associated with these pipes, so really no reason to worry.

A point of clarification on the Beta 80 would be that they use a Beta engine, not KTM engine; KTM uses (or used) the Beta small engines in their smaller bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...