Frothy Gearbox Oil

houseape1000

I put a new oem clutch cover gasket on today and it started leaking without even starting it.

I will have to get one of those thicker ones - can anyone tell me where to get one.

Should I use gasket sealant or not - I didn't on this occasion but maybe I should.

Usually I use a thin smear of hermatite when fitting gaskets to keep them in place but like I say, I didn't use anything this time.

I am currently cutting a gasket out of some oil resistant orange gasket paper that's a little thicker than the standard paper gasket but not sure if I'll end up using it.

On a different note...

There is supposed to be 0.5mm washer slides over the kickstart shaft before fitting the clutch cover but there isn't one there.

This is the first time I've had the cover off and I know it hasn't fell off so it must of been like this for some time.

I've checked the teeth on the sprocket and everything looks as it should so do I need to order and fit this washer or not ?

Andy.

Just had another look...

There is a spring type square profile washer located in a groove on the kickstart shaft that is in line with the engine case - I placed a straight edge across to verify.

Would the washer be needed to take up the gap produced by the gasket and if so does that mean I would need to source a washer of equal thickness to the new thicker gasket if I get one ???

Edited by houseape1000

I always use sealant on gaskets. Make sure both sealing surfaces are clean and smooth, no left over pieces of gasket, no old sealant, no oil flowing across the sealing surface. One gasket only, sealant on both sides. Let the sealant dry per the instructions before putting any liquid inside the case.

Edited by thats_a_five

Be careful on the choice of sealant.

I used Threebond 1194 (I think that is what it was, grey and supposedly the same as yamabond) on my clutch cover gasket once.

I put a thin film on each side of the gasket, waited the appropriate amount of time. Put it all back together and the gasket slid around and leaked. The 3Bond 1194 is a flexible sealant and never truly "dries" so the gasket was allowed to move around.

But when I used the 3Bond 1194 all by itself with no gasket on the Crank Cases of a TY80 I rebuilt it worked wonderfully. Did exactly as it was supposed to do.

So I guess right product for the right job.

I am not suggesting that you do not use a sealant on your gasket.... just suggesting you get the right one and save some more headache.

I put a new oem clutch cover gasket on today and it started leaking without even starting it.

I will have to get one of those thicker ones - can anyone tell me where to get one.

Should I use gasket sealant or not - I didn't on this occasion but maybe I should.

Usually I use a thin smear of hermatite when fitting gaskets to keep them in place but like I say, I didn't use anything this time.

I am currently cutting a gasket out of some oil resistant orange gasket paper that's a little thicker than the standard paper gasket but not sure if I'll end up using it.

On a different note...

There is supposed to be 0.5mm washer slides over the kickstart shaft before fitting the clutch cover but there isn't one there.

This is the first time I've had the cover off and I know it hasn't fell off so it must of been like this for some time.

I've checked the teeth on the sprocket and everything looks as it should so do I need to order and fit this washer or not ?

Andy.

Just had another look...

There is a spring type square profile washer located in a groove on the kickstart shaft that is in line with the engine case - I placed a straight edge across to verify.

Would the washer be needed to take up the gap produced by the gasket and if so does that mean I would need to source a washer of equal thickness to the new thicker gasket if I get one ???

That kickstart assembly thrust washer is necessary. They usually attach themselves to the sidecase with oil surface tension and then fall off in the dirt, it's common for riders to lose them.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the rubber/metal gasket from Splatshop and it's done the trick.

It's an aluminium gasket with a thin layer of silicone on each side and it's not much thicker than the paper really.

Can anyone tell me what size socket fits the clutch bolts - the little tiny 12 point sets around the clutch pack.

They look to be around 7mm but they're not....

Thanks,

Andy

I would believe that a single gasket would seal better than two gaskets.

(insert long lengthy explanation of what I am thinking involving sealing surfaces of gasket and surfaces of cases)

I think you're on the right track as far as a single rather then multiple gaskets doing the job better. And another consideration, although usually not a problem with most sidecovers, you need to take into consideration that in a lot of cases, the thickness of the of the gasket sets the side clearance of any shafts that fit into/through it. For instance, leaving off the gasket (and using sealer) on some sidecovers will cause the kickstart shaft to bind. I would think that conversely, thicker gaskets might result in excessive side clearance in some cases.

Jon