Bike Racks

bikespace

Just looking at getting a bike rack. as I'm sick of the trailer for one bike. Dave Cooper seems the best advertised, although their web site is a bit poor as far as photos of the racks are concerned.

Anyone got views on these. My concern is how good they can be for only

Bikespace

I had a Dave Cooper rack on the back of my Disco for a couple of years and it was fine - very simple construction but good standard of welding - it never let me down and I sold it on when I changed to a car with a 'continental' style tow bar which it wouldn't fit.

There's a post by the rear wheel to keep the machine upright and a couple of tie down points fitted, I used one strap across the rear wheel from the post to the bottom of the rack and one from the bottom of the rack to one footpeg, this seemed to keep it pretty safe. You can also strap down over the handle bars for a bit more security.

I modified mine slightly as I wasn't happy with the main beam that bolts to the tow hitch - it's 2" hollow box section and I found the bolts kept work loose because of the give in this, I replaced it with some 1/2" steel plate - no give! Dave's a very amenable guy and I'm sure if you talk to him he'll make something to suit you, though I definitely wouldn'y want to hang the weight of a bike and rack on the back of a Polo - use the Vectra.

Kliponoff also do a rack, nicely finished (galvanised so no rust - Dave uses Hammerite or similar) but much more expensive.

Mick

Used mine for the first time at the weekend to get my old heavy beta to a trial and is great. Couple of straps and you are away. It does look well dodgey at first but works a treat. Quick and easy to put on and the bike is on and off in seconds. Just watch out for narrow gaps you drive thru as the bike overflies the car and both sides !! Get the longer bolts when you order as it saves the hassle of tracking them down locally

I use a Dave Cooper Bike rack on the back of a Citreon Estate. The rack is second hand and came with the bike, I believe it is as old as the bike (1991). I have no problems with it at all. I use two straps, both with ratchets, one over the handlebars and one across the seat to compress the back-end. I don't use the upright bar. If you are used to a trailer you may find getting the bike onto the rack after a hard days trialling a bit awkward at first, but you soon get the hang of it. I don't have the problem of overhang that has been previously mentioned, I find if my wing mirrors go through the gap then the bike will go as well. As a bonus (though I don't know how wise) I am aware of people who use a bike rack AND trailer to transport more than one bike. Also, the rack is far easier to store away.

Thanks for the tips. I think that's settled it, they just seemed pretty cheap.

I'm going to try it on the Polo first though to save marital hassle. The car is surprisingly bigger than you expect for a Polo, and I think the estate has toughened springs. My 18 stone doesn't have any great effect standing on the towbar, and the 1.9TDI will pull the weight OK.

The width thing - Could be a bit embarrassing as I'm HGV. I'd never live it down if I clipped something with a bike on the back :o

It does give me the option to take 2 bikes with my trailer when I need to as the drawbar is pretty long.

Thanks all.

Gaz

i have used a DC one sind 97 and had no trouble though i did modify it to ad a long bar that goes up from the rack rests near the foot rest mount and alows me to loop over the seat with a strap. i than have one from the foof of my van to the handle bar to stop it swaying on braking acceleration.

i have had one bike on rack and 3 bikes on a trailer aswell.

one point of legality, you tow bar has a wieght limit of XXkg and you will exceed this.

i use a witter and its ok, i even bought two tow bar mounts so i could use both my vehicles if misses had one.

used to put it on a fiesta and it knew it was there but was ok.

i recomend it and best thing is when bike is off just lift rack out and store.

forgot another thing i did was weld a ring to the bit on the tow bar so i can padlock bike to van so stop the scum of this world walking off with bike while im in services (pub) etc