Early Montesa 247 Cota Electronic Ignition

triple_x

Hi

I have done 6 trials with the Mont since changing from points.

No problems starts promptly and it runs sweet.

However, my engine has been totally rebuilt, apart from reboring which it did not need.

So, yes, I would recommend the Electrex World system.

Some people have said that the flywheel key can shear, but my experience is that this only happens if the taper is in poor condition or the nut has not been torqued up to 75ft/lbs. The key is only there to time the flywheel not drive it!

So up to you!

Kind regards

Martin

• 11 months later...

Hi Martin :icon_salut:

hope you don't mind me joining in on this post

I am not brilliantly technical but can follow a manual :wall:

I got a `71 247 Cota that used to start quite well but then wouldn't, we tried changing points, condenser, coil etc and I have a complete spare engine.

we couldn't get it to go in the end my mechanic friend felt that it may be weak magnets in the flywheel. might not be of course but my mate is a pretty good pro mechanic

can I ask if you good people have had a similar experience hence the search for electronic ignition

I have looked around but haven't been able find anyone prepared to re magnetize the flywheel so I then came across your post about electronic ignition. strangely I think this company is only a couple of miles from me but the set up is around £230 so don't know whether to try and pick up a decent s/h flywheel or go for your set up .

I guess from your experience `70s Montesa 247/348 crank ends must be the same only the flywheel weight is different?

also can I ask if anyone reading this post knows of anyone who is able to recharge flywheel magnets I figured it was worth trying to do this first

thanks

Baz

Montesa trials crank ends are exactly the same for 247 and 348/349 series, but the weight is different.

In my opinion (and I've seen a lot of Motoplats because I've been involved in the developement of a CDI ignition for big Cotas) is not usual to re magnetize the flywheel. Most of the flywheels can provide a strong spark even after many years of service ... if the electrical system is in good shape.

I'd check if the wires are in good shape (flexible and with no cuts on them), the kill button is working properly, etc. You can even use a modern electronic component instead the classic condenser. You can take a look here: http://montesakingscorpion.blogspot.com.es/2011/11/condensador-de-electronica-en-la-cota.html It's written in spanish, but Google translate will have the job done.