2003 Sy250 Idle Issues - Help!

custom

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

I have a 2003 SY that I recently bought. Everything was working fine. Last ride I put the bike in the garage. Didn't wash it. 10 days later I loaded it in the truck to try out my first trials event. Once at the event it was hard to start and would not idle with the choke off. I assumed a plugged pilot jet. Unfortunately I didn't grab my tools. Back home I go.

I pulled the carb off and disassembled it on my workbench on top of a fresh paper towel. No dirt or debris anywhere. Pilot jet was completely clear. Mmmm. So I proceeded to tear the entire thing down and blew every orifice out with carb cleaner. Vent tubes, main jet, pilot jet, choke, all passages, etc.. Then I set the float height at 22mm. Verified that all the seals on the top of the carb and throttle cable are sealing properly. Needle and slide look perfect. Proceeded to install some brand new fuel tubing. Made sure the tank was venting properly and plenty of flow out the petcock. Installed brand new spark plug. Set air screw at 1.5 turns out.

Reassembled bike. Same exact issue! Bike will not idle with the choke off. Interesting. Now what? With the bike idling and choke on I proceeded to spray WD40 all over the reed cage, carb, base gaskets, cases, etc.. in an attempt to find an air leak. Nothing. No rise in idle.

If I close the choke by pushing the knob down you can almost instantly hear the RPM's rise and then die. Its obviously running lean and starving the motor the second the choke is closed. Anything else I am missing? I am out of options and feel like I have checked everything possible.

Thanks!

Keith

Just a guess.sticky float?

Tip the bike over should flood.

If not could be your problem.

Cleaning the tank out wouldn't be a bad idea.

Had an Sy for years and any problems tended to be water in carb issues and you seem to know what you're doing.

Had a coil go and it would short and stop when ticking over,but doesn't sound like your problem.

Cheers.

I had similar issues with a Mont 315. Turned out to be carb icing. Often this is visible on the outside of the carb, in my case it was not.

I made a shield to keep the wind off the carb and direct heat from the barrel onto it.

As soon as the temparature got a little bit above freezing it ran fine.

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

I have a 2003 SY that I recently bought. Everything was working fine. Last ride I put the bike in the garage. Didn't wash it. 10 days later I loaded it in the truck to try out my first trials event. Once at the event it was hard to start and would not idle with the choke off. I assumed a plugged pilot jet. Unfortunately I didn't grab my tools. Back home I go.

I pulled the carb off and disassembled it on my workbench on top of a fresh paper towel. No dirt or debris anywhere. Pilot jet was completely clear. Mmmm. So I proceeded to tear the entire thing down and blew every orifice out with carb cleaner. Vent tubes, main jet, pilot jet, choke, all passages, etc.. Then I set the float height at 22mm. Verified that all the seals on the top of the carb and throttle cable are sealing properly. Needle and slide look perfect. Proceeded to install some brand new fuel tubing. Made sure the tank was venting properly and plenty of flow out the petcock. Installed brand new spark plug. Set air screw at 1.5 turns out.

Reassembled bike. Same exact issue! Bike will not idle with the choke off. Interesting. Now what? With the bike idling and choke on I proceeded to spray WD40 all over the reed cage, carb, base gaskets, cases, etc.. in an attempt to find an air leak. Nothing. No rise in idle.

If I close the choke by pushing the knob down you can almost instantly hear the RPM's rise and then die. Its obviously running lean and starving the motor the second the choke is closed. Anything else I am missing? I am out of options and feel like I have checked everything possible.

Thanks!

Keith

No expert here, although just offering general advise as I cannot even recall which carb is on the SY.

Sounds as though you know your way round the carbs, yet in my experience many have been fooled by the smallest particle missed in the idle jet or passeges. This is why I usually use a fine wire to pass through it, same for the small passage in the bore of the carb. A blast through with carby spray also helps insure proper flow of the low speed fuel circuit which is basically bypassed using the choke circuit.

Hope that helps,

can't believe something similar just happened to me

rode the bike (2007 model) a couple of weeks ago all day without a problem, came home, cleaned it, put fresh petrol in (same petrol I'd used for the ride) started the bike & it was fine

week later dropped the oil, cleaned the air filter & left it until today

took the bike out of the garage & the bike will run on choke but dies when push choke off

looked at air filter which was new about 4 rides ago & it's frayed around the edges & easly tears (am I the only one that finds it difficult to get the air filter back in on a Scorpa or is there a trick?) so I'm fearing the worst that some foam has been sucked into the carb

no expert on carbs having never dismanteled one, had the bike since August last year & so far this is the only problem

before I look at the carb I'll check all other venting as mentioned so any other tips would be appreciated

thanks

Almost certain it will be dirt in the carb,get somone who knows what they're doing to give it the once over.

When fitting the filter put the filter on the plastic rectangle that fits in the top of the airbox first.

Then fit as one part.easy.

I tore the carb down and removed any seals and other rubber or plastic items like floats, choke, seals,etc... I then cooked it in the ultrasonic with fresh simple green for an hour. It is impressively clean. I verified the passages were all clear with fishing line and I can see the light through it. I will post up some pictures later. I also used some simple green and cleaned the inside of the airbox. Cleaned and oiled the air filter too. Now I am off to get some fresh ethanol free gas and see if she runs. Will report back later....

Almost certain it will be dirt in the carb,get somone who knows what they're doing to give it the once over.

When fitting the filter put the filter on the plastic rectangle that fits in the top of the airbox first.

Then fit as one part.easy.

thanks breagh

wouldn't mind having a go myself, I've an engineering background so I feel like a fraud for not trying

confident I could get the carb off the bike but do you know how far you have to strip the carb in order to get at the jets?

regarding the airfilter I've tried putting it into the plastic rectangle first but the rim of the filter doesn't hold, I bought it from Birketts so thought it would be OK, are there better options?

thanks